RIS swap - Brewpastor's brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Mine brews are out and I believed received.

I sent 4 12 oz. bottles. 2 of the 8/8/8, one of a test batch of 8/8/8 with raspberries which took 1st in the SW regions and is heading to the nationals, and one bottle of the same base beer with wood chips from Russian River added to give it a bugged character. That one is a pure experiment so don't hold your breath.

Enjoy.

BP, when I received the box I unpacked everything, gave the bottles a good inspection and then promptly re-wrapped them and tucked them away in the brewshop where I can't see them.

That's the only way I can defy temptation. :D

I'm glad that 8-8-8 is a Friday night.

BP, when I received the box I unpacked everything, gave the bottles a good inspection and then promptly re-wrapped them and tucked them away in the brewshop where I can't see them.

That's the only way I can defy temptation. :D

I'm glad that 8-8-8 is a Friday night.

The trick is to remember where you put them when it comes time 2.5 months from now!

I opened the Belgian sour first... not my favorite style. It came out flat, with a slightly fruity, vinegar aroma. The flavor reminds me of red wine gone south.

I tend to save the best for last. :)

Now tasting the standard 08-08-08 stout...

Low carbonation, not much head to speak of. The aroma is very malty with hints of chocolate and roasted aromas. Nice full mouthfeel with the chocolate and coffee detected in the nose, plus a hint of raisin fruitiness. The initial sweetness subsides to a full hoppy bitterness that lingers nicely on the back of the tongue. Bready elements in the aroma never seem to make it into the flavor. Maybe I should grab the rest of this bottle before the guests find it. :mug:

Can't wait to try the raspberry!

Opened BierMunchers BP-RIS. Fricking awesome! Thick, beautiful, black, had a bite up front that smoothed out at the end. Hmmm Good.

Well, I was too busy to participate in the 888 swap or even to brew the recipe, so here I was feeling all sad for missing out on all the 888 fun when I remembered...

Brewpastor sent me a bottle of his RIS with the Russian River bugs!!! :ban:
888 002.jpg

Opened the bottle and was greeted with the gentle hiss of co2.

Poured with a thin tan head that dissipated after about 3 minutes.

Aroma is definitely Brett along with roasted malt and coffee notes.

Flavor of sour cherry and chocolate roll over the tongue. Finishes quite dry and tart.

Body seems thin for a RIS but most definitely not lacking.

BP, this beer is brilliant, I absolutely love it! You, my friend, are an inspiration. :mug:

I got a wonderful chance to experience a Brewpastor original 08-08-08.

I opened the beer last night as I sat down to watch the opening ceremonies.

The beer poured an opaque black/brown color with a milk chocolate colored head. The head lingered for nearly the entire pint. Surprising given the nearly 9% alcohol.

Aroma of bitter chocolate and roasted grains. It really begs you to try it.

The flavor was an intense flavor of extra dark chocolate. Rich flavors with a strong bitterness. Full bodied mouthfeel and intense flavors.

One of my favorite deserts is a piece of Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate. This beer reminded me of a liquid version of that chocolate only better.

I really enjoyed getting a chance to try one of the pastors beers.
Unfortunately now I will be comparing my own and the other 08-08-08 stouts to this one. I know mine is not even close.

Thank you

Craig

BP - No time this morning (and I'm a bit hungover) to do your raspberry RIS justice with a write up but I will.

One word - Phenominionominal.

One of the best beer experiences I've ever had. More to come.....

As Promised - BrewPastor's Raspberry RIS - 888​

Aroma – Just like BP’s original RIS I’d had on opening night, the aroma was pure dark chocolate…but wait. There was something on the back of my sinuses that was a little different. Very pleasant. Not too obvious, but definitely there. Those raspberries were signaling their presence. Again…not too obvious, and if I didn’t know they were there, I might not know what it was. This was definitely going to be something special.

Appearance – Just like you’d expect. Ink black. The head poured a deep copper color and was very thick. Not a big head…but very rich. The head dissipated down to leave a nice residual swirl on top of the beers surface. A slight swirl of the beer in my goblet showed the nice oil like lacing of the beer. I could see that this beer was going to have plenty of “chew factor”.

Flavor – A truly good beer can broadcast what it’s going to taste like through the aroma and appearance. In this case, I was not disappointed. One small sip and the dark chocolate flavor was immediately satisfying. Balancing out the smooth sweetness was the firm bitterness and the slight, comforting alcohol warmth. All three components came together perfectly…but wait. There it was again. Those raspberries were not to be ignored. Very subtle flavor. The raspberry hit me right about mid-palate. Very good. Very rich. And if it’s possible…those raspberries made the beer very…refreshing. This was a nice blend of dark chocolate and a hint of raspberry flavor. It was very difficult not to drink this beer too fast.

Mouthfeel – Perfect. Chewy. The kind of dark silky mouthfeel that makes you want to swirl every sip around in your mouth before swallowing. This really went beyond mouth feel. This beer felt good going all the way down. Even the slight…shall we call it…beer exhaust after each sip was a pleasure. Carbonation was low to moderate…PERFECT. The warmer the beer got sitting in the glass, the creamier it became.

Overall Impression – As I said in a prior post, one of the best beer experiences I’ve ever had. I stretched this single 12 ounce serving of beer out over 45 minutes…and was a little sad at the last sip. I doubt I’ll ever see another bunch of raspberries at a market and not think of the Pastor’s Raspberry RIS.

This is definitely “best-in-show” caliber and would easily score in the mid –upper 40’s

Well done.

Biermuncher's review of the raspberry RIS motivated me to try this at my next opportunity. Last night I got the chance to sample this delicacy.

Raspberry RIS
Poured with a thin creamy brown head which dissipated slowly. The head left lots of lace on the glass as the beer was consumed.

The immediate aroma impression was of a raspberry chocolate dessert. The raspberry aroma was dominate but chocolate aromas were abundant as well. Also sublet notes of roasted grains were in the background.

Mouthfeel was thick and creamy as expected of an RIS. However the tartness of the raspberries balanced this somewhat.

Tart raspberry flavors with dry roastiness and bitter chocolate flavors. Raspberry took center stage for me but the roasts and chocolate flavors played an excellent supporting role.

Some noticeable pleasant warming alcohol as the beer warmed to room temp. On the last swallow I noticed a hint of sour flavors I assume came from the raspberries.

A wonderful beer that makes me realize how far I am from mastering this craft. This is the first fruit beer I enjoyed and I am encouraged to try making a raspberry Porter or stout of my own. I'm thinking of adding raspberries to Ohiobrewtus's EF porter.

Thank you for the great experience Brewpastor.

Craig

Open the bottled labeled BS, which was the RIS with bugs.
This was my least favorite Brewpastor beer I received, however it was still very drinkable and quite good.

It poured an opaque black but it did appear a little lighter around the edges that the other stouts. No head developed despite a vigorous pour.

Aroma of alcohol, roast and dark fruits. Slight sour and off flavor.

Most noticeable flavors were plum, prune and raisin. Also some roast flavors. Alcohol was more noticeable than in the other RIS examples. Some sourness and a noticeable tart off flavor I couldn't really place.

This was a very dry beer for the gravity and drank easily. Light body.

Over all it was a good beer but the funk conflicted too much with the strong stout flavors for my tastes. However I do like how light and easy it was to drink compared to most Imperial Stouts that are very thick.

Thank you for allowing be to experience this experiment.

Craig

Back