State College, PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
State College homebrewer here. Just bottled my first batch and am starting a new one on Saturday. I have heard a good place for grains is Elk Creek Cafe. It's a bit of a drive, but a buddy of mine that is an advanced brewer gets stuff from them. Also, Otto's is great for yeast.

Like I said, I'm new to this and am already hooked. Might look into kegging equipment here soon.

ok, crash course time. I have only kegged beer. What is the best way to get a 12 oz out of a keg?

I only bottle so am no expert on kegging but I'd say try pour a jug of beer as cold as possible and without generating a head in order to keep as much CO2 in solution as possible then fill a clean and sanitized bottle, cap and cool ASAP. If you do this on Sat am your beer should be fine for judging.

The right way would be using a Blichmann Beer Gun or similar but my guess is you do not have one of those - maybe try borrow one if someone in Happy Valley has one?

ok, crash course time. I have only kegged beer. What is the best way to get a 12 oz out of a keg?
Chattan,

I recently heard an old Brewing Network show in which Gordon Strong and Tasty McDole discussed their method, which was something along the lines of pour from tap into a cold bottle, then cap on foam. It was an old one, I think around the NHC in 2009 if you want to search their archive.

Good luck!

Lots of people do this we no need no stinking beer gun. Put your bottles in the freezer ahead of time to minimize foaming.

I've done this before. I now use a beer gun, which unfortunately I'm not prepared to lend out THIS week. I've got to bottle up a beer myself and I've got family in town so I don't know when I'll have a chance to bottle. We have family plans every night this week. If I get it done sooner rather than later, I'll let you know. It might not happen until Sat. morning though.

I'm a new brewer and also new to State College. I wish i would have known about the homebrew competition at Tussey as i have two that I could have entered. Any info on who won?

I just joined the CC Black Hops Unit and there is a thread about a logo. They did start the thread earlier this year, but i am not sure if it went anywhere. you should join and post your logo.

I'm a new brewer and also new to State College. I wish i would have known about the homebrew competition at Tussey as i have two that I could have entered. Any info on who won?

A buddy of mine told me he got 4th. Not sure on winners though.

I will be moving to the State College/Boalsburg/Lemont area shortly and would be interested in joining a club. I am the President of my local club where I live now, and can probably offer some advice to help move the State College club from fledgling to a bona fide club. Let me know how I can get in touch with anyone from the State College club.

I'm in the State College area. Do we have any active clubs? I've been brewing for a few years and wouldn't mind joining a club (or talking to like-minded folks every now and then). It sounds like there are enough locals to support such an effort.

I'm in the State College area. Do we have any active clubs? I've been brewing for a few years and wouldn't mind joining a club (or talking to like-minded folks every now and then). It sounds like there are enough locals to support such an effort.

We had a group going back in the day, mostly the Zeno's crowd. I've since moved away but I think there's still at least a yahoo group. I was in town this week and ran into one of the guys from the club...I'll see if they've still got anything going.

I suggest joining the Facebook Group above then once we have enough people interested we can start getting organized into regular meets etc

The Black Hops Unit of Centre County is having an informal get together Monday Dec 30th, largely to discuss plans for moving the club forward. Join the Facebook group for details

A home brew shop has opened in Mount Carmel about an hour from you he started in wine making supplies and has started carrying brewing supplies. If interested I would call him, he can get what ever you want or he might even have it on hand. The hours are not set yet he usually is around during the day but i would call and schedule a time to meet if you are going to drive there.

http://www.catinos.com/

I live in State College as well and was wondering where those of you who keg prefer to purchase your CO2 around here?

I have been getting my CO2 from Praxair out on Benner Pike across from U-Haul. I also heard that Best Event sells CO2 at $2.85/lb. I think Praxair is cheaper.
Welcome aboard!

I have been getting my CO2 from Praxair out on Benner Pike across from U-Haul. I also heard that Best Event sells CO2 at $2.85/lb. I think Praxair is cheaper.
Welcome aboard!

That's where I go. They are also called GTS-Welco. The big tank out back says Praxiar, and the street sign says GTS-Welco. Just past Dick's homecare. I'm not totally sure the cost, but most of it is for "labor", not the CO2. It only costs me ~$8 more to fill my 20 lb tank vs my 5 lb tank

That reminds me, I need to get my 5 lb tank filled

Back