Mini-MLT for 5 gallon brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgtg

Reaction score
Can I use a 3 gallon mini-MLT (featured in the DYI threads) to brew five gallon batches? I read the BYO article on counter top partial mashes and it sounds like that's where I'll have to stay until I can get a 5 or 10 gallon cooler.

Or, am I off base in thinking that whatever all grain recipes I find (that aren't big beer styles) that I could scale the grain bill in half and just collect concentrated wort (half the anticipated collection volume) boil and then top up with water?

Would that mess up my gravities? How about hop utilization?

Maybe it's just making it harder when I could solve the $200 problem with a $30 solution?

I have a 3 gallon Igloo that I use for small test batches. I cannot get enough out of it for a full 5 gallons. When I use my larger system I sparge to get 7.75 gallons and boil to 6 gallons. I can do a 2.5 gallon batch in the smaller igloo.

I think after a little research I've answered my own questions and the answer is;

"no"

It seems that in order to brew the five gallons of beer from a three gallon cooler, it must remain a partial mash. I will most definately need the help of some type of extract.

Now, as you've indicated brew-boy, you are correct, I could do an all grain brew out of the cooler it would just have to be a half batch.

Thanks for your help, sometimes putting it out there for another brain helps out.

SMaller batches, more brewing, more time to tweak recipes... that would be a good idea. I may even build a 3 gallon system one day for R&D purposes. Filling up the 10 gallon system for new "ideas" is hardly my idea of being efficient.

Pol

Next Weekend, my FIRST lager...

Back