Bière de Garde yeast selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azurecybe

Reaction score
Right now there is a Wyeast Farmhouse Ale - Private Collection - 3726PC available which sounds great... but I already purchased the Belgian Schelde Ale - Private Collection - 3655PC.

Anyone have experience with either that can make a suggestion whether to order the Farmhouse Ale one or if I'll be OK with the Schelde?

This beer will be corked and laid down to age for about a year so it's going to be a while before it's ready. My recipe is below for a 5 gal batch at 75% eff.

Briess Pilsner 10 lbs, 8 oz
Caramel Munich 1 lbs, 8 oz
Aromatic 8 oz
1 lb invert sugar syrup (homemade)

Mt. Hood Pellets 6.1 AAU 1 oz @ 60 mins
French Strisselspalt Pellets 2.5 AAU 1 oz @ 30 mins

90 min mash at 147

60 Min Boil.

Shooting for about 12 SRM and 22 IBU

Any and all feedback is welcome. :mug:

Wish I could help. I'm thinking about picking up a pack of 3726 myself. I wasn't planning on doing a bier de garde until next year, but if I want to do it with this yeast, I probably need to get on it.

Update. I bottled today into 24 cork finished 750's. I think this one is going to be spot on.

Tasting notes at bottling. Toasty rye bread. Grainy breakfast cereal on the nose and a light sweetness on the back of the tongue which is odd as it finished from OG 1.068 down to FG 1.006.

The remarkable part is there's no real noticeable alcohol nose or taste, this is an 8% beer after all. I can feel it in the chest after it goes down though.

The Belgian ester character is very restrained. I started at 66 and primary finished at 74 deg after 20 days or so. I crash cooled at 34 degrees to clear and find this yeast is fairly flocculent.

Maybe I'll resurrect this post in a year and see how things progressed.

Back