So how easy is it to bend the freezer compartment in a mini-fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmckenny

Reaction score
I recently got an old GE mini-fridge. Realistically, how easy is it to bend the freezer compartment? Is it easier/better to bend the entire compartment to the back or is it easter to try and straighten the compartment to the side? With the former I would be bending the copper line that connects to it. With the latter I would be bending the sheet metal and integrated tubing.

I assume this should be attempted when the fridge is warm (warmer metal = more pliable?)

if given the option, I would try to bend and flatten the tray and not bend the line.

My kegerator is also a GE, but with the way it was built, I had no option but to bend the line. It was frightening and i was really worried I was going to **** it up, but I got it done. Others have, too. But, some people have ruined then by kinking or cracking the line when they bend it.

I have a converted ge kegerator mini fridge. The tubing is supple (relatively) and will bend very easily. That sheet metal freezer tray is very stiff and I think you would have a greater chance of cracking a coolant line if you tried to bend the tray since it is not nearly as pliable. Once I took the pressure of the tray off the walls of the fridge. ( mine curves like a U if you look at it from the front, with the tray curving up and pressing against the sides of the fridge) the tube bends easily under it's own weight. It has been set up like this for the past 7 months or so and has been working great.

if given the option, I would try to bend and flatten the tray and not bend the line.
I had no option but to bend the line. It was frightening and i was really worried Others have, too. But, some people have ruined then by kinking or cracking the line when they bend it.

I did flatten the tray and bend the line with some high tech tools to prevent restricting the gas and liquid flow.

:off:change your makeup please:D

lmckenny the high tech tools I used to bend line, page #2
The line has a capillary tube inside which is less than 1/8", don't over bend.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Are you guys doing the bending on ab uncooled fridge? I have had mine unplugged for a week pending a kegerator extension build. I'm not really planning on bending the freezer down, but if I did, is it safer to do it while warm or cold? (that sounds like a dumb question now that im reading it but maybe im missing something)

i heated the small tube with a lighter before i bent it down and to the back. i bent it alittle at a time and then would re heat. take your time and you will be fine.

mine was room temp when I bent it. the fridge had been sitting unused for several months before I attacked it.

Back