Ferm Temp dropped WAY down on a San Fran Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatwad

Reaction score
So, I brewed a Cali Common 8 days ago and pitched the White Labs San Fran Lager yeast.

With a cooler/ice bath ferm chamber, I've kept the temp super steady at 58-60 the entire time. Except for today.

I came back after a night out of town, where I had my wife (who then delegated to my 5 year old daughter) to switch out the ice. Well they put in WAY more than I suggested, and the temp is now at 50 degrees. Might even be 49.

Is there a remedy? Or am I screwed?

Thoughts?

I'm not a lager brewer (yet!) but shouldn't there be a diacetyl rest (a couple of days around 70°F) in there before a lagering?

Cheers!

I'm not a lager brewer (yet!) but shouldn't there be a diacetyl rest (a couple of days around 70°F) in there before a lagering?

Cheers!

Usually that yeast strain doesn't need a diacetyl rest, especially if it's fermented out before dropping the temperature. It's not a lager, though- it's a hybrid and fermented at ale temperatures.

So, should I keep it down around 50 or below....for how long?

B/c I still need to bottle at some point...

So, should I keep it down around 50 or below....for how long?

B/c I still need to bottle at some point...

I'd grab an SG sample and make sure it's fermented out. If you take a taste, and notice some "slickness" or oiliness on the tongue or mouthfeel, or a green apple taste, bring the temp back up to the mid 60s for a couple of days. If it tastes great, leave it where it is and bottle in two weeks or so.

Ok cool, I'll take a reading this afternoon.

Should I get it off the yeast though? And then keep it in the 48-50 deg range?

Really feel like I'm scramblin here! Thanks for the help!

Took a reading.

1014, so 4% ABV. Shooting for 4.5%

Also, I definitely detect a slight green apple, more so in the aroma, but a bit on the taste too. Not so much "oily" however, but green apple yes. Perhaps its the power of suggestion, but I taste wine on the reg, so I'm used to seeing the green apple, and its here in the beer.

Current ferm temp is creepin back up to 52 right now.

Thoughts?

Let the temp creep up over the next week. Take a gravity reading. 1014 is pretty close, you might drop another couple points.

I'm about to brew an IPA with some washed San Fran (WLP810). I'll ferment it in the lower 60's for 2 weeks before "lagering" it.

Back