Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhusudan

Reaction score
This will be my first attempt at fermenting honey. I have done a few batches of cider, and thought it'd be fun to make a cyser. Later I'll try a true mead.

I've seen more than a few mead recipes that suggest heating the honey/water mixture and skimming foam and particles off the top. Every cyser recipe I've seen thus far simply recommends mixing the apple juice and honey thoroughly. Some recipes mention heating the juice, but only to mix in the honey, not for any other purpose.

Can someone explain this discrepancy? Or, are the recipes I'm seeing for mead that involve heating and skimming not the best way to go about things? If that is the preferred method, why would it be unnecessary for cyser. Enlighten me.

Thanks

It is not necessary to heat honey to make traditional meads. There are many older recipes that call for it, and many brewers feel very uncomfortable if something hasn't been boiled. Folks who come at it from a wine or cider making background are usually much more comfortable without heating.

With that said, there are some honeys that may make better mead after boiling. However, that begs the question, why use them in the first place?

i love making and drinking cyser. for your first one, i would suggest shooting for 10-11% though. this brings it in around a good white wine, and it should be drinkable in a few months, versus a year for a big one (16-18%). carbing it up is always nice too. 5 gal juice, 5-6 pounds honey, d-47 yeast, nut &energizer.

Thanks, that explains things. I'll probably wait a bit to get fresh juice in season and then give it a go.

i usually heat the juice and honey up a bit but thats only to make it easier to dissolve the honey in.

Back