smell of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turricaine

Reaction score
I just racked a mild brown off into my keg after sitting in the primary for 12 days. At the bottom of the fermenter looked like a cow pat and smelt like one too. The yeast rarely has an offensive smell after shorter periods in the primary eg 7 days. The yeast really packed together well though and that was why I thought it might be an idea to leave it in there longer than normal. I guess that is ok but it might not be an idea to leave it any longer than that.

I don't see how 5 extra days in primary could make yeast smell like dookie. I'm thinking it probably has more to do with the particular strain you used.

How yeast could come out smelling "poopy" at all is beyond me, come to think of it. It stinks, but not like that (to my nose, anyway).

Do you have a cat? :D

Ahh....you mean like sulphur? I've read that's normal for some yeasts, but mainly lager strains. They say it will dissipate.

Good yeast always smells like clean beer to me. There's something pure and great about it. I love pulling out the air-lock on the carb and getting a whiff to know it's working.

I was not talking about the smell of the beer. I meant once the beer has been decanted, the large volumes of yeast that are left at the bottom of the fermenter.

Sam75 said:
Ahh....you mean like sulphur? I've read that's normal for some yeasts, but mainly lager strains. They say it will dissipate.

Yes, I've head yeast strains that have that smell, particularly a Bock I did last year. The sulphur smell was quite strong, but it went away over time and did not affect the beer's smell or taste at all.

I too enjoy removing the airlock and taking a whiffffff during fermentation. Smells like success to me. I wouldn't be worried too much about the smell of your yeast. I like to use White Labs liquid yeasts for my brews and I have yet to open the vial and smell one that didn't stink. The beer always comes out good though.

Back