10-10-10 BGS Swap Sign-up and Details

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4-grain Bourbon Barrel Wee Heavy

Wort Volume Before Boil: 5.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 3.25 US gals
Volume Transferred: 3.25
US gals Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 3.25 US gals
Volume Of Finished Beer: 3.25 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.079 SG
Expected OG: 1.101 SG
Expected FG: 1.028 SG
Apparent Attenuation: 71.0 %
Expected ABV: 10.0 %
Expected ABW: 7.7 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 28.3 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 20.0 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.28
Mash Efficiency: 67.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables

UK Golden's Promise 15.00 lb
UK Roasted Barley 0.20 lb *see notes

Hops

UK Golding 5.5 % 1.00 oz @ 40'
UK Golding 5.5 % 0.50 oz @ 25'

Yeast

Wyeast 1728-Scottish Ale

Notes:

I bought 30 lbs. of grain and brewed this recipe twice on the same day in an attempt to fill a used Tuthilltown distillery 7 gl. bourbon barrel.

mashed @ 154F for 60' (hit 153F the first time and 154F the second time)

I boiled ~2 gallons of the first runnings for ~2 hours each until it reduced down to ~0.5 gallons and got some good caramelization (might start with less volume next time)

I did not add any Roasted Barley until the batch sparging of the second batch. Then I just added it and waited ~10 min. mainly just for color

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 12 days @ 60F

Then moved to 65F for 8 days
Then racked into bourbon barrel, gravity was at 1.030 and it tasted really good.

Aged 22 days @ 60F in my basement

Bottled with corn sugar (~125g) and dry champagne yeast

I had a long, sh!tty day and I am so ready to get my 101010 on.

KingBrian's 10-10-10

Aroma - Fruity, very slight alcohol nose, some spicy clove-like characteristic. But just a lovely over all bouquet. As it warms up a bit it brings along that nice pils aroma with it that just makes this even more inviting.
8/12

Appearance - Huge fluffy white head that fizzles down slowly and leaves and nice crown throughout. Opaque, hazy, golden wheat coloring on the edges, darker in the middle.
2/3

Flavor - This has quite a burn to it. I'm finding it hard to get much else through that heat. Some slight hints of fruit.
8/20

Mouthfeel - Crisp. It's nice and light and goes down easy but still leaves a bubbly sensation in my mouth. Spot on carbonation.
4/5

Overall - I'm having a very hard time getting past the alcohol heat. It's very overwhelming and makes it hard to focus my attention on any other aspects of this brew. I wish I had something more constructive to say but that's really all I can gather from this one. Not even sure how one would fix that. Love the aroma though, it's very inviting and complex.
5/10

Total: 27/50

Haha, I warned you! :D It definitely could use another year (or two!) for that alcohol to mellow even more. I think it ended up at 14.5% or something. :drunk: I don't find it having a burn so much as just lots of warmth, but I can see how if you didn't like that kind of strength it would be hard to get past. Glad you enjoyed the aroma though!:mug:

Alright jackson, just popped a CRP in the fridge to start cooling down. We'll see what it's all about later this afternoon!

It's about oxidation. I've noticed a trend in my last few brews and finally replaced my siphon which I believe to have been the culprit.

jacksonbrown's Chocolate Rye Porter

Aroma - Roasty malts and cold coffee, fruity ethanol, possibly a hint of orange. Aroma is fleeting, skittish. Hard to lock on to.

Appearance - Poured an opaque black with chocolate brown around the edges. A <1 finger head popped up but dissipated immediately.

Flavor - Very light malty flavor upfront. Followed by nice a roastiness and and firm bitterness on the palate. Bitterness from the hops and dark malt lingers for a while. I think I'm detecting the rye right in the finish as a slight spiciness. I'm getting a little oxidation coming through. Possibly getting the slightest bit of cocoa right on the end.

Mouthfeel - Thin of body, with a moderate carbonation that really gets prickly during the swallow.

Overall - A bit too thin and lacking in flavor. I'm kind of looking for the other half of the beer. It seems like part of it got separated from what's in my glass. I get the roastiness and bitterness but there's no depth to it. I expected some richness from caramel, malt and chocolate flavors that didn't show up. I'd really like to see the recipe to try to figure out what happened. If I were brewing this one again, I would mash higher and use a yeast that leaves more malty flavor (it tastes like you used nottingham?). Also, up the caramel malts to help fill out the flavor. The roastiness will probably be spot on if the other flavors get filled out to help play a supporting role. You might also want to use maris otter for the base malt for a bit more flavor and think about adding some munich, amber, or brown malts to deepen the malt profile. I'd also lose the rye. It's not really adding anything to this beer. This is not a bad beer at all though. I just wanted much more from it. I'll let the other bottle condition for a few more months then try it again to see if it has changed at all.

It's about oxidation. I've noticed a trend in my last few brews and finally replaced my siphon which I believe to have been the culprit.

Yeah, I did pick up on some oxidation. I have the worst luck with autosiphons. Every one of them will always suck air through the gasket between the inner and outer tube. I have to pour a little of the beer into the outer tube every time so that it gets sucked in instead of air. Otherwise I get a constant stream of bubbles flying through.

Close call on the Nottingham, it's US-05 which is pretty much the same thing. Yeah, this one had some issues throughout. I was going for a 1.063 SG and ended up with 1.054 due to a bad crush. I did a step mash with a Saccrification at 156, but it ended up coming to a rest at 151. So I think the combination of those two mistakes make it thinner and fell more hop balanced than I was intending.
It was a first go and I definitely intend to try it again with some improvements. My biggest regret is the lack of chocolate nose. It was there big time during fermentation and the couple weeks after, but just dissapeated at some point.

:off:
Thanks for the recipe Hookstrat, man that was a LOT of boiling and I'm still not sure I went long enough. I had 3 boils going: I boiled the first 2 gal runnings for 2 hours and also took the last 2 gal runnings and then added 3# light DME and boiled that (separately) for 1.5 hours while the 'main' boil went for 1.25 hours, then combined them all for the last 45 minutes. I also subbed 1 lb of Honey malt for 1 lb of the Pale Ale malt.

I gave up on auto-siphons pretty quickly. I just find a plain ole SS racking cane simple/easy enough and I was always a bit worried about the auto-siphon becoming contaminated-beyond-simple-sanitizing.

:off:
Thanks for the recipe Hookstrat, man that was a LOT of boiling and I'm still not sure I went long enough. I had 3 boils going: I boiled the first 2 gal runnings for 2 hours and also took the last 2 gal runnings and then added 3# light DME and boiled that (separately) for 1.5 hours while the 'main' boil went for 1.25 hours, then combined them all for the last 45 minutes. I also subbed 1 lb of Honey malt for 1 lb of the Pale Ale malt.

That's awesome. :ban: I hope it turns out well for you. It was definitely the longest brew I've ever had. Are you going to do any oak or bourbon flavor?

I'm not finished with the 10-10-10s yet. Here's my review of Brian's Pumpkin Ale though:

I opened this beer thinking that 'PA' stood for Pale Ale. It wasn't until I looked backed at your post that I remembered you had sent a Pumpkin Ale! Good job on this one Brian!

Tasting Notes:

Aroma: Grassy hop aroma, follow by a little bready, yeast aroma. I think the Pumpkin spice might be adding something as well.

Appearance: Huge creamy head, but overcarbed. Clear, copper finish. Looks great once the foam subsides.

Flavor: Tastes like a honey brown with a hint of rich pumpkin flavor. It's delicious.

Mouthfeel: Quite full-bodied. More mouthfeel than expected and it is quite welcome.

Overall: Easy drinking, but flavorful. I could probably put down a few more of these.

That's awesome. :ban: I hope it turns out well for you. It was definitely the longest brew I've ever had. Are you going to do any oak or bourbon flavor?
No oak/bourbon. My FFT finished at 1.026 (OG was 1.098) and I was hoping for a higher FG (like in the 1.032-1.034 range). I hope it's 'thick' enough.

KingBrian's Westvleteren 12 clone:

Aroma: Caramelized stone fruit, raisin liqueur. Big, burnt jammy nose. Hint of spicy Belgian yeast. A touch of alcohol smell comes through later, but it's hidden extremely well by the malt aroma. I spent about 10 min just smelling this thing.

Appearance: Carbonated perfectly to style with a lasting ring around my Westmalle (oops) chalice. Dark, nearly impenetrable amber color. I decanted a good amount of yeast sediment so beer is not hazy. It just looks chewy!

Flavor: Oddly, my first thought was bubblegum soda! There's a Juicy Fruit front to this beer that really starts everything out on the right foot. The pleasure is then followed by a little pain, with a back-end blend of oak (?), bitter and alcohol. It's one of those perfectly balanced beers where every drink is a little battle in your mouth between good and evil. You might get a hint of overpowering alcohol strength, but it's instantly smoothed by the burnt raisin finish.

Mouthfeel: It's like a drinking a Riesen chewy chocolate milkshake, except that the beer is dry enough that you could drink many.

Overall: This beer is fantastic. It's in the top 5 homebrews I've ever had. It's so hard to achieve that balance between big and smooth that makes a dangerously drinkable beer. I've never had the real deal but in this case it really doesn't ****ing matter.

OK, I finally mustered the courage for a head-to-head-to-head 10/10/10 challenge. As per KingBrian I'm not holding back on the reviews, so please don't take offense to any comments. I'd love to swap beer with any of you guys again in the future!

Eddculus' 10/10/10

Aroma: Very prominent yeast smell but not so much from fruity esters. Very bready. Some hot alcohol smell. Low malt aroma, no hop. No off smell.

Appearance: Golden brown. Low, but lingering carbonation.

Flavor: Very hot. There is a solid Belgian strong in here somewhere but everything is off balance with so much rocket fuel! I can detect a good amount of spicy character.

Mouthfeel: More carbonation would help make it more crisp. Hard to overcome the burning sensation.

Overall: It's like doing a Belgian Triple Sake bomb. If I make the recipe again I will shoot for at least 1% less ABV, I might suggest at least 2% less ABV for your recipe!! Note that I think the main problem with the beer is just the recipe, not technique.

SpanishCastleAle's 10/10/10

Aroma: Nice fruity esters. Apple cider and banana. Not bready like the other two. Smooth, sweet malt. I can tell it's a big beer (smell the alcohol), but there's plenty going on to hide it.

Appearance: Truly golden. Clean and clear. Could use more carbonation but still quite nice. Lasting ring of bubbles, but no effervescence.

Flavor: So much better balanced than any of the others including my own version. Malty, smooth bitterness, lingering spice. And the spice in this one has a depth and complexity not found in the others. There's also a softness to this one that's just interrupted at the last moment by a reminder that this beer is big. Quite tasty!

Mouthfeel: Enough carb to be mouthfilling, but dry enough to down cleanly. Would be perfect with more carb.

Overall: Easily my favorite of the 10/10/10s (including my own version). There's a sweet/spicy combo to this beer that is really quite delicious. It's still too big for me though!

KingBrianI's 10/10/10

Aroma: Very spicy. A little bready. Caramel malt comes through. Then the spice fades and I get some of those subtle fruity esters. Mostly pear. Alcohol smell comes through as well. No hop aroma or off smells.

Appearance: Golden in color, but probably a little too dark for style (like my version). Fairly clean. Best carbed of the bunch, but probably could have gone even higher.

Flavor: Wish it wasn't so boozy. Nice spice and good malt flavor. Quite dry and bitter. To be honest I think my beer was right on the edge of too much alcohol and this one might be right over the edge. I also picked up some butterscotch finish (light diacetyl?).

Mouthfeel: Again, too hot/astringent. But otherwise pretty good. Nice dry, crisp finish.

Overall: Not much else to say here, this thing is a beast. I would love to taste all of that flavor without all of the ethanol!

I just tried a Tripel I brewed about a year and a half ago and it had some sweetness in the beginning but now it's reasonably dry. It has improved greatly since I bottled it. I'm gonna put these beers away and see what they are like in another year or so. Might help the carb a little too.

I just tried a Tripel I brewed about a year and a half ago and it had some sweetness in the beginning but now it's reasonably dry. It has improved greatly since I bottled it. I'm gonna put these beers away and see what they are like in another year or so. Might help the carb a little too.

Definitely with you on that. I brewed my 10/10/10 on 9/10/09. It really improved with age.

OK, once again I forgot the decoder and grabbed a beer from fridge. Here are my "blind tasting" notes from KingBrian's Herbed Saison...

King Brian's "Herbed Saison"

Aroma: Hay, grass, pilsner malt, pungent noble hops, minerals

Appearance: dark straw with a big pluffy cloud of cream on top

Flavor: I don't know how else to put this, but it kind of reminds me of my favorite bowl of gumbo. Spicy, sweet, minerally. That might not sound good to you, but it's really nice!

Mouthfeel: Tingly upfront then smoothing and creamy, finshed with lingering bitter grassiness...

Overall: After writing the previous notes I looked up the decoder. Kind of surprised to find out that this is a Saison, I was thinking some type of lager! Tasty beer nonetheless, and more importantly interesting on the palate!

Gumbo! I'll have to look for that the next time I try it! :D

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know the HSA (Holiday Spiced Ale) I sent just took first place in the Belgian Specialty Ale category with an average score of 44.5 in the Piedmont Brewer's Cup. Enjoy!

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know the HSA (Holiday Spiced Ale) I sent just took first place in the Belgian Specialty Ale category with an average score of 44.5 in the Piedmont Brewer's Cup. Enjoy!

Sweet!

Just an FYI, I haven't forgotten about your beers! I feel like I've barely had a spare moment between the wedding, the fire in my parents house, the flood in my apartment (and the subsequent move), work, and the upcoming honeymoon! I promise things will settle down in December and I'll get a few spare moments to properly review your beers.

Congrats! The Vienna Lager I sent just won gold in the Sunshine Challenge this past weekend (out of just under 600 entries). It actually didn't score that great at only 38 but it was good enough I guess. I was in the room during BOS and it got down to the final 7 or 8 then it got booted.

At Belgian Night of the competition I actually tried the first sour I liked, Rodenbach Flemish (not the Grand Cru although I tried that as well, that one was too sour for me). So I think I'm ready to try Hookstrat's sour with cherries (it was Hookstrat's right?).

Congrats! The Vienna Lager I sent just won gold in the Sunshine Challenge this past weekend (out of just under 600 entries). It actually didn't score that great at only 38 but it was good enough I guess. I was in the room during BOS and it got down to the final 7 or 8 then it got booted.

At Belgian Night of the competition I actually tried the first sour I liked, Rodenbach Flemish (not the Grand Cru although I tried that as well, that one was too sour for me). So I think I'm ready to try Hookstrat's sour with cherries (it was Hookstrat's right?).

Yea, that's my Belgian Dark Strong! All the sourness comes from the cherries though, with some funk provided by Brettanomyces in secondary.

Here's another brew review,

KingBrian's Holiday Spiced Ale:

Aroma: Caramelized raisins. Fruity Belgian yeast. Malt and candi hide the alcohol. Excellent.

Appearance: Deep, dark amber. Pours a nice head but dissipates quickly. Could use a little more carbonation, but it's fine.

Flavor: The spices and hop flavors really compliment each other nicely. Love the lingering burnt caramel finish. Quite a full-flavored beer.

Mouthfeel: Dry. Medium bodied. Maybe not as full-bodied as I expected.

Overall: I like this beer. It's a hearty, winter beer perfect for a cold night. It goes down easy and leaves a little burn in your throat. I'm pretty sure this beer will kick your ass too.

ha, I guess not. My biggest problem is that I work 2nd shift and don't get home until 11:30 to 12:00 and pretty much go straight to bed. That leaves weekends, but who really has time to do anything on the weekend? :D

King Brian's Westvleteren 12 clone

Aroma: complex strong caramelized and burnt sugar sugar and stone fruit. Slightly spicy. Some alcohol present, but not hot. No hop aroma to really speak of

Appearance: Deep brown with ruby highlights. Light white head that dissipates quickly. Very clear.

Flavor: Very complex maltiness layered with dark caramelized sugar flavors. Some plumb and dark sweet cherry flavors coming through in the aftertaste. Low bitterness. Alcohol is warming, but not hot. Strong spiciness from the yeast. Incredibly complexity of flavor with everything blending quite nicely.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. Full creamy mouthfeel. Fairly strong alcohol warmth.

Overall:
What a great beer! No flaws that I can detect. Very tasty strong beer without being too overpowering or unapproachable. I would have a lot of fun pairing this beer with food. I think it would be awesome with a crispy duck served with a plum wine reduction. Thanks for sharing this one!

o rly?

:d

When should I pop that RIS Brian? I think that's all I have left to review. :ban:

p.s. I'm drinking the last of the 10/10/10 you shipped me right now. It's tastes like a really great Belgian GSA...with about two shots of Vodka dropped in for show! :drunk:

I had one of the RISs a couple weeks ago and it starts really nice, but I'm still not crazy about the finish. It's got a savory note I don't really care for. It's much reduced from where it started, but I don't know if it will ever go away. So if you want to drink it go ahead. It's not bad and it seems like some people like it. It may continue to get better but it may be as good as it's going to get right now.

Haven't been to this thread in a long time. I'm sitting down to Brian's Westvleteren 12 clone.

Aroma: Very complex, and very sweet. Intense notes of plumb, other dark fruits, and burnt sugars. I didn't know what which bottle I was grabbing or what to expect, and this was a very pleasant surprise. It's extremely inviting. I'm expecting some serious mouth resin.

Appearance: A dark, muddy ruby-brown. No head.

Flavor: lives up to the nose hype. Lots of complex fruits, and a rather strong burnt sugar flavor. I'm getting a lot of berries in this, too. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel: Not what I was expecting at all. Very bubbly and light. I was sure I would get a coated mouth full of sugar, but that is not the case at all. The mouthfeel is absolutely perfect for me. I hate sticky mouth and this has none.

Overall: I am very impressed. I am not a fan of trappist ales, or anything that tends to be overtly sweet. This has a nice warmth to it, but not that of alcohol heat. It just makes me feel all nice and cozy. I'd love to see this beer in a corked bottle.
Great job.

Busted in to Hookstrat's 10-10-10 today. Quick notes are the aroma is 10! Fantastic malt nose with a hint of coriander and dark fruit. Very inviting. Sadly the flavor does not match. High fusel flavor kind of masks everything else. Body is also excellent though. Any idea why the alcohol would come through in the flavor but not the nose?

jacksonbrown's Chocolate Rye Porter

Aroma - Roasty malts and cold coffee, fruity ethanol, possibly a hint of orange. Aroma is fleeting, skittish. Hard to lock on to.

Appearance - Poured an opaque black with chocolate brown around the edges. A <1 finger head popped up but dissipated immediately.

Flavor - Very light malty flavor upfront. Followed by nice a roastiness and and firm bitterness on the palate. Bitterness from the hops and dark malt lingers for a while. I think I'm detecting the rye right in the finish as a slight spiciness. I'm getting a little oxidation coming through. Possibly getting the slightest bit of cocoa right on the end.

Mouthfeel - Thin of body, with a moderate carbonation that really gets prickly during the swallow.

Overall - A bit too thin and lacking in flavor. I'm kind of looking for the other half of the beer. It seems like part of it got separated from what's in my glass. I get the roastiness and bitterness but there's no depth to it. I expected some richness from caramel, malt and chocolate flavors that didn't show up. I'd really like to see the recipe to try to figure out what happened. If I were brewing this one again, I would mash higher and use a yeast that leaves more malty flavor (it tastes like you used nottingham?). Also, up the caramel malts to help fill out the flavor. The roastiness will probably be spot on if the other flavors get filled out to help play a supporting role. You might also want to use maris otter for the base malt for a bit more flavor and think about adding some munich, amber, or brown malts to deepen the malt profile. I'd also lose the rye. It's not really adding anything to this beer. This is not a bad beer at all though. I just wanted much more from it. I'll let the other bottle condition for a few more months then try it again to see if it has changed at all.

It's nearly half a year later and I just put the other bottle in to the freezer to cool it down a bit. Review will follow shortly.:mug:

jacksonbrown's Chocolate Rye Porter - Take 2

Aroma- Tangy malt followed by cocoa powder. Slight fruity esters and orange.

Appearance- Deep black with chestnut highlights. Poured with a thick khaki head with great creaminess. Head dissipated slowly down to a thin cap.

Flavor- Much improved! Starts a bit fruity with some full malt but quickly transforms into a strong cocoa flavor. Finishes dry with a tingly bitterness and light coffee flavors. The prickly dry finish is very long. Over everything is a kind of tangy, prickly sensation that might be from the rye.

Mouthfeel- Nice full mouthfeel. Low-moderate carbonation is just right.

Overall- Wow, this is a completely different beer than what I tasted 5 months ago. The cocoa really comes out now and the body is much improved. Not sure how the body seemed to fill out but I'll take it. Flavor is also much stronger. I no longer feel like something is missing. The cocoa flavors made a welcome appearance. I'm not crazy about the tangy, tingly rye flavor but that is more personal preference than any problem with the beer. It's also interesting that the oxidized flavor only makes a very brief appearance right in the finish. If you weren't looking for it you would probably miss it. It's amazing what some age does to some homebrews. If you have any of these left, you should definitely give it a try to see how much it's changed! :D

D7K_1099.jpg

jacksonbrown, I'm thinking about having the second bottle of your wee heavy tonight. I'm interested to see how it has changed. I remember last time it had a really nice strong toffee aroma and flavor.

jacksonbrown's Wee Heavy - Take 2

Aroma- First whiff had lots of sour-mash whiskey ferment smell. Like when I stuck my head in the big fermenting barrel at Jack Daniels. Subsequent sniffing revealed toffee, hints of chocolate and maybe even a little strawberry. The sourish aroma kind of hangs over everything, but not in a bad way.

Appearance- Dark copper verging on mahogany. Brilliant clarity. Poured with an off-white fizzy, large-bubbled head that fell to a thin coating.

Flavor- Sweet toffeed malt. Very subtle strawberry gives the beer a brightness. It's a bit less complex than the aroma hints at. Finish is dry and balanced towards hop bitterness. A gentle dry bitterness and strawberry flavor is left lingering on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and moderately-high carbonation.

Overall- Great aroma on this beer. The toffee is more subdued than I remember it but still present and strong. The sour-mash aroma was nice but didn't show up in the flavor. I still wish this beer finished a bit more chewy and sweet. The strawberry kind of showed up from nowhere, right? That was interesting but welcome. Overall a very enjoyable beer that would have been even more enjoyable with a bit more sticky sweetness, less carbonation, and a touch less bitterness.

D7K_1106.jpg

Drank HookStrat's 10.10.10 last night. I thought it was fantastic. I didn't get any of the 'fusel flavor' jacksonbrown mentioned but all the good points he mentioned were there. Nice carbonation too. However; it doesn't look, smell, or taste like it was made to the 10.10.10 recipe but at this point I guess I have to say that's a good thing.

This is a couple minutes after pouring:
079cdf9e-orig.jpg

Busted in to Hookstrat's 10-10-10 today. Quick notes are the aroma is 10! Fantastic malt nose with a hint of coriander and dark fruit. Very inviting. Sadly the flavor does not match. High fusel flavor kind of masks everything else. Body is also excellent though. Any idea why the alcohol would come through in the flavor but not the nose?

I think the aroma turned out ok because the fermentation was clean and that Belgian Strong Yeast from Wyeast Private Collection (from Piraate?) produces really nice aromatics.

I think the fusel flavor is primarily due to having too much excess alcohol. Although it could be related to the carbon source, simple sugar.

Bottom line, I think if I had just stopped at 1 lb. of sugar addition this beer would have hit another level. Thanks for the comments though!

Drank HookStrat's 10.10.10 last night. I thought it was fantastic. I didn't get any of the 'fusel flavor' jacksonbrown mentioned but all the good points he mentioned were there. Nice carbonation too. However; it doesn't look, smell, or taste like it was made to the 10.10.10 recipe but at this point I guess I have to say that's a good thing.

Thanks for the comments SpanishCastleAle! I actually brewed mine more to the "original" recipe in the 10/10/10 thread which called for slightly more caramel malts. Those grain percentages were reduced later in the thread to keep the color in style. So I think I kind of lucked out because the "extra" caramel malt may have lended my beer a little more balance.

I have been following this thread since before I became a member, and if their is any thoughts of doing a 11-11-11 brew. Count me in. This sounds like great fun, and I would love to have someone critique my home brew that is not just happy to get free beer.
Prost! https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/occasion14.gif

You're a little late to the party but here's the 11-11-11 thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/official-11-11-11-old-ale-thread-hbt-anniversary-series-200538/

Darn. It looks like you started that thread the same month I made my first homebrew. So I was late in more ways than one. I will keep an eye out for the 12-12-12 exchange. If there are any other exchanges happening please let me know.

Back