Sparge Water Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I normally do a single batch sparge. I've always gotten my sparge water to about 190, so that when I dump it in my mash tun, it brings the grain bed up to about 170. Is that what I should be doing, or is 190 way to hot of water to be dumping on my grains......Extracting unwanted flavors from the grain husks, ect......

I was recently told that I should just set the sparge water at about 175 degrees or so, and let it rip.....

I usually heat the sparge water to 170, unless it is very cold out I will heat it a few degrees warmer to account for the heat loss during the sparge. 190 sounds pretty hot, I haven't seen any references to that before...

The only reason you'd limit sparge to near 170F is if you've already raised the grainbed to 170f via direct heat or infusion mash out. If you're not doing a mashout, 185-190F sparge water is perfectly acceptable in batch sparging.

I double batch sparge. my first sparge addition is poured in at about 185 to get grains up to 165 - 168.
My second sparge addition is poured in close to 175ish.

I think you are doing things right if your grains end up around 165 - 168. You don't want to be too far off from that.

Latest posts

Back