Should I collect yeast to repitch when bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busta98

Reaction score
I brewed a Double IPA that has been in primary for one week. It is currently about 10% abv (OG = 1104; FG = 1028) and was wondering:

1) Should I collect any yeast to repitch before bottling? I plan to transfer to a secondary to dry hop and age with oak for roughly 4 weeks before bottling. If yes:

2) Should I collect the yeast from primary or from secondary?

My concern is the amount of viable yeast left in suspension to convert the priming sugar for carbonation.

I agree, it's not necessary. You should have plenty of yeast in suspension when you got to bottle.

how much longer are you going to go in the primary?(just out of curiousity, i agree that it is not neccessary to repitch) i've had a beer sit in secondary for 6 months before bottling and it carbed up great in 3 weeks. ( i actually forgot about it :/)

in the cases that i ahve read most people use the yeast from the primary, as the yeast that is in the secondary out of solution is not in the greatest shape.

i agree with defenestrate, if you decide to pitch some, i would definately wash some of the yeast from primary and save it in the fridge, and add it at bottling. bUt definately pull it from the primary if you choose to repitch. i brewed a double IPA back in november, only left it in primary for two weeks (wish i would have left it for a month), and secondary for two weeks (wish i would have left it for a month), i also used finnings with it in secondary, and than bottled around december 1st and it has been very slow to carb even at 68F im gonna attribute it to the finnings and not the length of time, but hey its crystal clear, also mine was only like 9.4% abv. hope some of this heps

Latest posts

Back