Mashing a Session Bitters/Mild Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bribo179

Reaction score
I want to make British table beer. My basic grain bill will be 5 pounds of MO and a pound of crystal.

I know the higher temperatures you mash at the more unfermentable sugars in the wort which translates into thicker mouth feel.

My question is ...Can i mash at a lower temperature, say 150*, for 45 minutes then do an infusion to bring the temperature up to 156-158*. This way I would get a lot of fermentable and unfermentable sugars.

I am fairly new to all grain and don't know if I can extract sugars like this with the different temperature ranges or if once I hit the 150*s range it is a one and done thing.

Mashing in the upper 150F range will still produce fairly high fermentability. In the case of a Mild, there is not a lot of sugars in the wort so you will generally want to tailor the mash to improve mouthfeel and residual sweetness in the finish.

I would not consider performing a step mash for this style. I've only brewed about 20 batches of Mild though. It is one of my favorite styles.

You could mash at a slightly lower temp and let it rest for a longer period of time. Like 90 minutes, for example. Even at the lower temp alpha amylase works on starch it's just slower.

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

Back