Local Homebrewer Makes Good (Did you say AB?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice story, but i can't help feeling that this guy was a business man first and a HB second, probably why he has made it!!!
Im sure there is plenty of guys on here making stuff as good or better (how many on here haven't made stuff that their friends love and say you should be selling this!!) but you have to be in the right place at the right time with the right attitude talking to the right people.
Lets face it with A-B the product itself probably isn't that important its simply the wedge they need to give them some leverage and cred in the craft-brew market.
That said i wish him the best im sure its much superior to the usual rubbish out there.

delboy said:
Lets face it with A-B the product itself probably isn't that important its simply the wedge they need to give them some leverage and cred in the craft-brew market...

Makes you wonder if the BMC's of the world are beginning to take notice of the growing impact that homebrewing is having on their business. Next thing you know, they'll buy up the graineries and yeast manufacturers.

I like that story the first time I read it when it was Sam Adams doing basically the same thing.....

BierMuncher said:
Makes you wonder if the BMC's of the world are beginning to take notice of the growing impact that homebrewing is having on their business. Next thing you know, they'll buy up the graineries and yeast manufacturers.

I'd love to think we are making a difference (and i truly think we are) but the A-B of the world are bean counters and if 1% of the market is made up off craft brewing then you can be sure they want a piece of that 1% action ( i can see the presentation and pie charts to the directors 'we see this area as a major growth area with the 35-50 age demographic and we can comfortably predict a 12% rise year on year for the next 6 years etc etc etc).
Lets hope to god they don't target the grain suppliers etc.

Well that's just great fro him. Good job.

But...I just couldn't help notice this at the end:

"A-B has also bought up part ownership in smaller breweries to compete in the craft-beer market. Last month, A-B said it would be a minority partner in a joint venture to purchase Old Dominion Brewing Co., a craft brewer based in Ashburn, Va.

It already owned 33.7 percent of Seattle-based Redhook Ale Brewery Inc. and had a 39.5 percent interest in Portland, Ore.-based Widmer Brothers Brewing Co.

A-B plans to significantly expand its field sales force this year, predominantly in urban markets — specialty and imported beers' base of popularity.

"We're seeking to compete in every category," Furr said."

That last line sounds like they intend on buying up most or all of the competition they can.

I think BMC is noticing that we will pay 3-5 times as much for a beer as their usual customers.

A-B recognizes the fact that business is starting to be threatened because of teh craft brew craze. Now they want a piece of it.

I have no doubt they'll screw it up though.

I do have to give them props for doing this though--I might write them and see if they'll brew a beer of mine in Williamsburg. ;)

BierMuncher said:

Grains would be hard.

Hops would be easiest to corner and manipulate. Without hops.......:(

Already a tight market for some varieties....

Hmmm, this thread and the Homebrew Supply Shortage thread have me thinking there is a large scale A-B conspirecy to take over the homebrewing world... ;)

Either that, or trucks are late and homebrewers are selling out. One or the other.

Dude said:
A-B recognizes the fact that business is starting to be threatened because of teh craft brew craze. Now they want a piece of it.

I have no doubt they'll screw it up though.

i wonder how much of the homebrewers orginal recipe will be tossed into the kettles, or if it will be budwieser with different hops...

The beer isn't a risk for A-B. A 500-barrel batch of Ray Hill is a drop in the bucket for a company that shipped 102 million barrels of beer in the U.S. last year.

Ten or so gallons on AB beer for every man woman and child in America. Lord help us all. I wonder how much M and C produce?

Al

Back