Belgian Candy Syrup - what kind to use, what % to use, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krugulitis

Reaction score
I have been toying with a dubbel recipe for a while, and though I understand that belgian candy syrup plays a big role in producing a fig, raisin flavor, I am still confused about some of the particulars behind using it.

First, what is the difference between all of the different types? C, A, D, D2 - which one should I use for a dubbel, and why?

Second, how much of this stuff should I be using for a 5 gallon batch? For the most part I have seen this stuff available in 1 lb packages.

Third, should I be using just the belgian candy syrup to dry out the beer, or should I be using this in conjunction with table sugar or something else? What percentage of the fermentables should be from barley?

Thanks in advance!

For a Dubbel I would go with the D sugar. The D2 works well in Dark Strongs and such. It's really added for flavor mainly. I use a pound per 5 gallons and that seems to work out well. Your rates could be higher or lower, depending on how much of that dried fruit/raisin thing you want. IMO the D2 has that real fig thing happening, not so much with the D. The Amber is a waste, IMO, and the clear is great for singles and the like.

My stronger belgians, anything dubbel and above, I keep to about 12-14% sugars. darker ones for dubbels/dark strongs and clear or light amber (home-made) for tripels and golden strongs.

How does this look for my grain bill?

malt and fermentables

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
81% 11 8 Belgian Pils
14% 02 0 Candi Sugar Syrup D 80L
03% 00 6 Caramunich Malt 45L
03% 00 6 Belgian Special B 180L

Latest posts

Back