Cherry Stout w/ Cooper's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've made a couple of batches in my lifetime, and have only used extracts (cooper's). The past week or so, I have been daydreaming of making a Stout with a cherry flavor, or a chocolate cherry flavor, or rasberry...Anyway, I am still crazy new at this whole game, and have only made a couple of ales. I was going to buy a stout kit to do this. Should I use freash cherries, frozen, puree? Should I put it in the with the initial fermentation? Secondary? I've never done a secondary, is now the time to start? I can only assume these are all ridiculous questions.

Is there a resipe for a chocolate cherry stout or cerry stout using an extract kit?

Any and all advice would be badass.

thanks.

go frozen, them already sanitized, I would add flavors/spices in secondary. Search HBT threads for amounts of flavors

here is one I found

This turned out awesome and my sour cherry ale turned out even better!

Sour cherry stout
7 lbs John Bull unhopped dark malt
1 lb dried muntons dark malt
1 pound crystal malt
1/2 lb black patent malt
1/2 lb roasted malt

1 oz Galena 10.1%
.5 oz nugget 11.2%- both added @60 min

.5 Mt Hood @ 15 min
O.G.- 1.061
irish ale yeast wlp 004

Put 5 lbs of sour cherries into secondary and then racked on top of it. Put into tertiary and let sit for about 1-2 months

you are only interested fin the last sentence by tertiary, he is just talking about a third stage; primary, secondary then fruit, I guess.... good luck

btw I am from SA, sucks about the Spurs first two games.... Do you shop at the LHBS over there off St. Mary's or what?...

Unforuneately, yeah I so to the LHbs off St. Mary's. I'm assuming the next closest store is in Austin. As for the Spurs, I have only lived here fora couple of years, I am originally fro the DFW.....That means Mavericks.

SOme people swear by Oregon Canned Fruit Puree as well...a lot of LHBS's even stock it and Mr beer includes it n their fruit beer kits as well...

oregon.jpg

But get it at your grocery store, it will be much cheaper than buying it at a homebrew shop.

SOme people swear by Oregon Canned Fruit Puree as well...a lot of LHBS's even stock it and Mr beer includes it n their fruit beer kits as well...

oregon.jpg

But get it at your grocery store, it will be much cheaper than buying it at a homebrew shop.

I am Brewing A Black Forest Stout right now, and I will be using 2 Cans (6 lbs) in each of the secondaries of the Oregon Canned Cherry Puree. I am also using Bakers Unsweetened Cocoa at the end of the boil. Should be an interesting Brew.:mug:

Charlie Papazian in one of his books has a recipe for a cherry stout called "Cherries in the Snow". If I remember correctly, I believe his recipe starts with either a Cooper's or John Bull stout kit. If you're interested, remind me this weekend and I'll type the recipe in for you. Can't vouch for what it tastes like though.

I am Brewing A Black Forest Stout right now, and I will be using 2 Cans (6 lbs) in each of the secondaries of the Oregon Canned Cherry Puree. I am also using Bakers Unsweetened Cocoa at the end of the boil. Should be an interesting Brew.:mug:

How did it turn out and do you have the recipe?

Back