American Barleywine recipe...how's it look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjornbrewer

Reaction score
St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milk
Hello all. Me and a friend are going to be brewing a 10g batch and splitting it using different yeasts. Some feedback on the recipe would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.04 gal
Estimated OG: 1.103 SG
Estimated Color: 16.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 81.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.20 lb Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 37.50 %
18.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 51.14 %
3.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 8.52 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.84 %
2.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 34.9 IBU
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (90 min) Hops 22.8 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 12.5 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 22.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 27.50 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Are you saying add more Cascades at flameout in addition to the 2oz at 5 minutes? I was thinking of maybe dryhopping with another 1oz of cascades (per 5 gallons).

thanks for the link. :mug:

That recipe has one ounces each of Cascade and Centennial at flame out for 5 gallons. For 10 gallons you'll want a bit more in there just so that something hangs around as the beer ages.

I've read that the American Barleywine could be mistaken for a IIPA if drank young.

Dry hopping aroma fades fairly quickly and, in my opinion, would be wasting hops on a beer that can be stored for so long. Flame out hops at least get to be steeped in boiling wort. Dry hopping only has the alcohol to break up the hop lupins.

Gotcha. I'll probably add 1oz of Cennt with the 2oz of Cas at flameout then. I'll see how much I can get at my LHBS...they have limits on the amount of hops you can get, but I'd think it won't be a problem with the amount of grain/extract I'm getting.

Thanks for the info :)

Go to Cap n' Cork and you should be able to get hooked up.

You should join the Michigan Mashers BrewSpace group to get hooked up with a lot of other brewers in the Greater Detroit area. I feel like the red headed cousin up north when those guys talk about the LHBS down there.

HomeBrewTalk Groups - Michigan Mashers

Cap n Cork is where I buy from...that place is great! We were planning on brewing this on the 1st when they do their teach a friend to homebrew day.

I saw that group...I just may join.

Where are you from?

I'm between Exit 202 and Exit 212 off Northbound I-75.

I don't have anything more to add then what mmb had to say, but I did want to warn you that you may want to get your hops online. At Cap n cork, they are now limiting you to only 3ozs of hops per batch of beer. I love cap n cork, but this makes it hard for some styles of beer. I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Disclaimer: I am in no way bashing Cap n Cork. It is my HBS, and I will still buy almost all of my ingredients there.

Back