First lager, how to bottle this? need help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khillian

Reaction score
Ahoy Homebrewtalk,

I brewed up a 3.5 Gallon Vienna Lager on 7/14/2012, fermented at 50F for 2 weeks then racked to a 3 gallon carboy for larger-ing, still has around 3 weeks in my fridge. The thing is I did such a good job siphoning and left around 1/2 gallon in the primary (5 gallon carboy) to a 3 gallon carboy, I am unsure there is enough yeast left. See picture below, and the 3 gallon carboy has no visible signs of yeast or cake on the bottom or lower sides of the carboy.

My question for you lager brewers out there is what should i do? I do not trust enough residual yeast in this 3 gallon carboy, there isn't any visible sign of settling after 3 weeks at 35F. So if I need to rack into a bucket with primary sugar plus another yeast what do you recommend? I worry about differences in the strains ie. this White Labs WLP830 not eating certain sugars but my bottling yeast being different eating them, causing bottle bombs. I do not have access to a keg-ing system. What dry yeast would you recommend? how much? and how to add? I plan to rack out of this 3 gallon to a 5 gallon bucket with spigot at bottling time. Any ideas?

Recipe/Photos Below:

And yes I was lazy and did not take OG/FG measurements.

Made a 1 Gallon starter via MrMalty of White Labs WLP830

Mash at 153 for 60 minutes. Boil for 90 minutes. Add the LME with 20 minutes left in boil. Ferment at 50F for 2 weeks and then lager for 4-6 weeks at 34-36F.

Briess Golden Light Dry Extract
2 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Vienna
1 lbs, 6.4 oz
Weyermann Pilsner
1 lbs, 5 oz
Weyermann Melanoidin
0 lbs, 2.88 oz
Weyermann De-Husked Carafa III ®
0 lbs, 1.4 oz
Tradition, German Pellets
.75 oz @ 60 mins
.5 oz @ 15 mins
.25 oz @ 5 mins

538492_746793288650_1764710513_n.jpg

To be clear left photo is prior to racking, the 2nd photo is after, and there is no yeast to be seen. I can take a better picture.

Back