Way too much corriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muss

Reaction score
I usually use half an ounce of corriander in my wits but the last recipe I used called for a whole ounce, some of you warned me that it was too much but I added it all anyway and now it's definetely over spiced!
It's annoying because it tastes like it would be a really good wit if I had only used half as much corriander.

Has anyone else had experience with over spicing? Is it one of those flavours that mellows out with age? I haven't dumped a batch yet but am thinking about dumping this one.

did you add the whole ounce of coriander to the boil? I have a wit in the primary now that took half an ounce of coriander and a quarter ounce of orange peel in the boil, and then the same amount of spice in a secondary for a few days. after reading your post, I am wondering if this will be too much, or if adding the spices in the secondary mellows their flavoring properties. Its from a recipe in a book so I have to assume someones made it before and that it was pretty good.... any thoughts?

bperlmu said:
did you add the whole ounce of coriander to the boil? I have a wit in the primary now that took half an ounce of coriander and a quarter ounce of orange peel in the boil, and then the same amount of spice in a secondary for a few days. after reading your post, I am wondering if this will be too much, or if adding the spices in the secondary mellows their flavoring properties. Its from a recipe in a book so I have to assume someones made it before and that it was pretty good.... any thoughts?

I'd recommend you don't add any corriander to the secondary, the half ounce that's already in there is plenty.
I've read posts that say it's easy to over spice beer and I've read the recomendations from others telling me that an ounce is too much, but I still had to go and learn it the hard way.

Maybe you could age this particular beer longer in hopes that the coriander fades a bit. The only other thing I can think of would be to blend this wit with a lightly spiced batch.

Two things:

1) The coriander should mellow with some time. Don't panic.

B) Coriander in beer is like hot sauce in chili. You (and anyone who shares in the beer) will grow accustomed to the coriander and like the hop-heads on this forum, soon you'll be screaming "More coriander. I gotta have more coriander..."

Under no circumstances should you dump this beer. PLEASE

Ok I'll hide it deep in the basement and when I find it later on while digging for pirate treasure it'll be awesome!

I tried a beer called Piraat recently and it tasted like someone put way too much star anise in it.

You could always put a nice label on it and sell it at a specialty beer store for $3.95 a pop.

At first I thought my Blue Moon clone had way too much coriander in it too. However, as time went on it mellowed out. We just finished the last bottle. It was a great brew. Give it time.

ROFL.. we made a BMC(blue moon clone NOT bud miller coors) about 6 months ago and put an entire oz of coriander into it.. Almost undrinkable. It was in bottles, so we just tucked the 2 cases into a back corner of the closet and forgot about em. Found em a few days ago and decided to put a few in the fridge. Awesome now! It will fade over time.

Back