Mistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmaloney86

Reaction score
Well I just brewed my first batch and I thought I might make some comments as to my experience.

Organization: is probably a brewers best friend, I would have utilized my time differently now that I have been through the whole process. I would have started rehydrated my yeast earlier on in the brewing process.

Counter flow wort chiller: I decided to make one of these before I had even got my brew equipment and I really think having the counterflow chiller took some pressure off me as a first time brewer. I ran a test of my system and it brought my wort down from boiling to 68 degrees, no worries or concerns about getting a cold break.

The biggest mistake I made: when putting the airlock on the fermentation bucket I pushed too firmly with the airlock and it pushed the rubber grommet into the fermenter. To solve this problem I decided to rack from my fermentation bucket to a glass carboy. I had already pitched my yeast so I'm not sure if sucking the yeast through a siphon will break the deal or not but its my only concern at this point.

I'm think its ok.

Whether or not it is I decided to relax and had several Dogfish head shelter pale ales... Its my birthday so the heck with it...

Sounds like a pretty normal brewday to me.:D

As to the grommet, get a replacement and if it goes swimming again just leave it in there, replace it and retrieve it after the fermentation has finished.

Well I just brewed my first batch and I thought I might make some comments as to my experience.

Organization: is probably a brewers best friend, I would have utilized my time differently now that I have been through the whole process. I would have started rehydrated my yeast earlier on in the brewing process.

Counter flow wort chiller: I decided to make one of these before I had even got my brew equipment and I really think having the counterflow chiller took some pressure off me as a first time brewer. I ran a test of my system and it brought my wort down from boiling to 68 degrees, no worries or concerns about getting a cold break.

The biggest mistake I made: when putting the airlock on the fermentation bucket I pushed too firmly with the airlock and it pushed the rubber grommet into the fermenter. To solve this problem I decided to rack from my fermentation bucket to a glass carboy. I had already pitched my yeast so I'm not sure if sucking the yeast through a siphon will break the deal or not but its my only concern at this point.

I'm think its ok.

Whether or not it is I decided to relax and had several Dogfish head shelter pale ales... Its my birthday so the heck with it...

Happy Birthday!!! :ban:

Welcome to the trials and follies of homebrewing, my friend... Totally pushed the grommet from my bucket to the bottom when attempting to push in the airlock.You should be fine. Not the first time it's happened and we've all had decent brews come from the experience. Next time: don't push so hard. :ban: You'll have a decent first brew :mug:

Latest posts

Back