Hops in upper michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPBeerMan

Reaction score
I was just going to plant some hops but I didn't know if I was to late to do so, seeing we just had frost warnings last week. Does anyone know if it's still possible to plant in the upper peninsula?

Do it! I'm in northwest Wisconsin and our climate isn't too different than what you have in the UP. If anything you will have a jump start for next year if you plant now.

There is no reason you can't plant as long as they get plenty of sun and you keep them damp (but not drowning). Your potential yield will suffer, but first year hops are hit and miss when it comes to getting enough to do anything with.

The important thing is that if you can still get them, your hops will have a nice start to a second season.

I got some this spring from Great Lakes Hops and they did well considering I forgot to cover them during the last freeze and they nearly died. these guys sell full crowns, not scraggly rhizome sticks.

I planted hops on Tuesday the 5th of June from Great Lakes Hops and they are already growing up ropes I set up for them. Strong, healthy, happy hops! I may not get many this year but the 4 plants will have a great start and build roots and structure!

Back