pectic enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
Im on the precipice of diving into my first apfelwein adventure. I know its wine... but I think you cider guys may be better equipped to answer my questions, since they are about apple juice.

INFO: Im planning to use 3 gallons of unfiltered juice (bought for the glass jugs) and 2 gallons of filtered juice.. like motts or martinellis, etc.

QUESTION 1: Since only the unfiltered stuff needs the pectic enzyme, I was wondering if I could add to the unfiltered jugs, cover with sterilized foil, and then just add per the recipe tomorrow? (in other words, is there a problem with opening the jugs, and recovering with foil?)

QUESTION 2: Im wondering how adding pectic enzyme straight to the juice wont create a contamination issue... seems like thats a possiblity. For that matter.. I have the same question re: the yeast nutrient, since both are smaller amts taken from a big bag.

can anyone clue me in on these issues?

cheers.

1. Yes. But --- along with #2, why not add 1-crushed Campden tablet to each gallon of unfiltered (since this is what you'll be adding the pectic enzyme to) along with the amount of yeast nutrient recommended for the entire batch (divided amongst the 3-gallons of unfiltered, to which you've added the Campden and to which you'll be adding the pectic enzyme), followed 12-hours later by the addition of the pectic enzyme, followed 12-hours after that by combining all (keep the 2-gallons of filtered unopened until this time) 5-gallons of the juice together and then adding the yeast?

I might have missed something here or even made this sound/read confusing, but that's what I'd do. OR --- just use all of one or the other.

- Tim

1. Yes. But --- along with #2, why not add 1-crushed Campden tablet to each gallon of unfiltered (since this is what you'll be adding the pectic enzyme to) along with the amount of yeast nutrient recommended for the entire batch (divided amongst the 3-gallons of unfiltered, to which you've added the Campden and to which you'll be adding the pectic enzyme), followed 12-hours later by the addition of the pectic enzyme, followed 12-hours after that by combining all (keep the 2-gallons of filtered unopened until this time) 5-gallons of the juice together and then adding the yeast?

I might have missed something here or even made this sound/read confusing, but that's what I'd do. OR --- just use all of one or the other.

- Tim

I didnt plan on using campden since this juice is all pasteurized. I thought you only needed it for fresh juice that wasnt previously sterilized.

Or, is the campden used to keep anything from growing that the pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient addition may have introduced?

thanks for the reply :).

Yes, that's what I meant -- since you'll be adding pectic enzyme and you're concerned about introducing undesirable organisms with the nutrient, I'd use Campden in anything you'll be adding pectic enzyme to and you might as well go ahead and put the nutrient in there too, also it's best to wait about 12-hours to add the PE after you toss in the Campden. So, that's where I was going to and coming from with all of that. :)

I had a feeling it'd come out confusing; it's been one of those days. Sorry. :(

Campden tablets kill wild yeast. It doesn't matter if pasturized or not. If you killed the wild yeast then the yeast you purchased to ferment will control the process. This aids in getting consistent results. Wild yeast can be deliscious but it is extremely unpredictable and my make a good cider taste terrible. I recommend always using campden tablets so you recieve consistent results and get a better feel of the yeast you are using

Campden tablets kill wild yeast. It doesn't matter if pasturized or not. If you killed the wild yeast then the yeast you purchased to ferment will control the process. This aids in getting consistent results. Wild yeast can be deliscious but it is extremely unpredictable and my make a good cider taste terrible. I recommend always using campden tablets so you recieve consistent results and get a better feel of the yeast you are using

right.. but if it is pasteurized, there shouldn't be anything in there for the campden to kill. that is, of course, if you follow good sanitation practice.

If it is pasturized it doesn't mean there is no yeast. Try this out. Buy a gallon of UV pasturized sweet cider. Make sure there is no preservatives. Let it sit out with an airlock. It will ferment or if you don't use an airlock your gallon will explode.

If you ask me I think using campden on pasteurized juice is a bit overkill in the sanitation department,I mean there is nothing 100% sterile and your yeast should overwhelm any small trace of wild yeast or other germs.

The only point of using the Campden is not necessarily to kill anything that IS there NOW (as you've pointed out, it's either pasteurized etc. or whatever), but rather that since you'll be adding pectic enzyme and it should be in advance of adding the yeast, and since you are concerned about possibly introducing an infection by adding nutrient etc., THAT'S what you're adding the Campden for; you're not going straight to airlock once the pectic enzyme OR the nutrient is added... just a little insurance policy that will NOT hurt anything. 24-hours after adding the Campden and nutrient, and 12 hours after adding the enzyme, and you're good to go. Those 24-hours will not necessarily be invader-free hours for the cider, the Campden isn't a 100% guarantee of protection but it does make a big difference and IF it were ME, I'd be using it. And I do use it.

Or do it any way you want, these are simply my suggestions in response to your question. They're definitely not hard and fast rules by any stretch of the imagination.

Back