First All grain kit questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moterbiker

Reaction score
Ok, I am getting ready to try my first all grain kit, I m reading over the instructions and was hoping that someone could clarify a couple of items for me.

The instructions say:
"Heat 1.25 gallons of water per pound."

This seems normal for what I have read, next

"Mash grains in hot water for 60 minutes"

OK, I get that, I built a mash tun from a 70qt coleman extreme cooler someone posted a link to from Wallyworld a couple of weeks ago.

"Take temp readings every hour to ensure a stable starch conversion"

What am I looking for here? Is starch conversion efficiency?

"heat 5 gallons of sparge water to 175 and pour in hot liquor tank, Once mash is complete begin to recirculate the wort by drawing it off the bottom and returning it to the top of the mash tun, while not disturbing grain on the false bottom. Recirculate for 10-15 minutes until wort is clear, and free of grain husks. Begin the sparge and runoff into the kettle at the same rate. A rate of 12 minutes per gallon is ideal, be sure to keep 1-2 inches of water on top of the grain bed. Once sparge water is used or you have reached 6.25 gallons begin heating for boil. Don't run off more than 6.25 gallons"

OK, first I don't have a hot liquor tank. Does that matter?

So after the initial mash of 1 hour do I start drawing off my tun from the bottom and pour it back on top? I assume by clear they mean clear of foreign matter like husks, not clear like water.
Then I assume I slowly start to drain off into my kettle while adding the 175 degree water on top? 12 minutes per gallon is an awfully slow rate to try and do by hand, is there a simpler way to do this with my equipment, or lack there of:cross:

I understand the wort volumes and the reasons why.
I decised to try this after watching some youtube videos and reading a lot here, I guess I am having some trouble because the kit is set up for more fancy equipment. Any help would be appreciated.

John
Raleigh

First, it should be 1.25 QUARTS of water per pound of grain. Not gallons!

That must be a mistake in the instructions.

Anyway, you stir it well, check the temperature and make sure it's correct and cover it and walk away. You'll have conversion in an hour. Unless you have some iodine to test it, you'll just have to trust that it converts.

You don't need a hot liquor tank. It's just a holding tank for the sparge water. You can leave it in the pot, that's fine.

I'd recommend a batch sparge technique, since you don't have an HLT. All you do is vorlauf (recirculating the first couple of quarts like you said), and drain the entire mash. Quickly. Then, add have of the sparge water to the cooler, stir like crazy, vorlauf again, then drain. And do it again with the rest of the sparge water. You can drain fast, not like in the directions with the slow additions of the sparge water. This is called "batch sparging" and it's a very common way to do it- I often do my sparge like this even though I have equipment to do it the other way.

Bobby_M has a great all-grain video primer on how to do this. I'll find the link and post it here.
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/bobbyfromnj#p/u/0/bZI5i_zNWwo

First, it should be 1.25 QUARTS of water per pound of grain. Not gallons!

That must be a mistake in the instructions.

Anyway, you stir it well, check the temperature and make sure it's correct and cover it and walk away. You'll have conversion in an hour. Unless you have some iodine to test it, you'll just have to trust that it converts.

You don't need a hot liquor tank. It's just a holding tank for the sparge water. You can leave it in the pot, that's fine.

I'd recommend a batch sparge technique, since you don't have an HLT. All you do is vorlauf (recirculating the first couple of quarts like you said), and drain the entire mash. Quickly. Then, add have of the sparge water to the cooler, stir like crazy, vorlauf again, then drain. And do it again with the rest of the sparge water. You can drain fast, not like in the directions with the slow additions of the sparge water. This is called "batch sparging" and it's a very common way to do it- I often do my sparge like this even though I have equipment to do it the other way.

Bobby_M has a great all-grain video primer on how to do this. I'll find the link and post it here.
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/bobbyfromnj#p/u/0/bZI5i_zNWwo

Yes that is qt not gallon, my mistake. Thanks for the advice, looking forward to making this.

Since this kit has 14.5 pounds of grain that makes a shade over 4 gallons of water for the mash. Then adding 5 gallons later seems like a lot of water, how much water does the grain absorb?

Wow. The instructions are definitely helpful, but not specific enough (except that part about 1.25G per pound!). In general, it is easier to add your strike water first, which is about 15-18F warmer than you want for mashing. First, by adding the strike water to your mashing cooler, you let it warm up the tun while cooling off the water. Once the tun is hot and the water has cooled a few degrees, usually about 10-12F above your target mash temp assuming you have room-temperature grains, you can go ahead and dough-in (pour in grain and stir).

I would go for 152 or 153F because it is a good middle ground for body/dryness, and it allows for some wiggle room.

What I do is heat up water in my hot liquor tun (just a fancy term for a hot water heater- a boil kettle can do this too) to about 175F or so. I pour my strike water into my mash-tun cooler and be careful to measure it along the way to make sure I have the volume I want (usually 1.25Q/pound). After a couple minutes, I take the lid off and get a temperature reading. For a ~10lb grainbill, I'll probably wait until it hits about 165F. If it is still too warm, I'll stir and leave the lid open- it is easier to cool off than to heat back up once it is in the cooler. Once I'm at 165F, I'll pour in my room temperature grains and stir in carefully to break up any clumps. I'll close the door for a couple more minutes, then open up and take another temperature reading. Hopefully, I'll be seeing right around 152F or so.

I'll stir it a couple times during the 60 minute period, and then slowly vorlauf: pour wort from the cooler spigot into a container and carefully pour it all back on top of the mash in order to recirculate the cloudy wort until it becomes clear. Once it is clear, slowly collect these first runnings into your boil kettle.

Sparging is easy. I will measure the amount of wort I collected on the first pass, and subtract that from my target boil volume. The difference is how much you will want to sparge with since no more water will be absorbed or lost to deadspace in the tun. Add your prescribed sparge water in one, two or more passes if you want to split it up. Stir in, vorlauf again until clear, and repeat. Knowing how much water will be absorbed by the grain or will be lost to deadspace in the tun can help, but it isn't totally necessary if you find out how much wort you collect on your first pass.

You can calculate your efficiency by measuring how much water you put into the mash tun, how much you have in your boil kettle (pre-boil), and measuring the gravity of the wort (pre-boil). When measuring this gravity, let the wort cool to room temp before trying to put it on the hydrometer...hot wort wont make a hydrometer give an accurate reading.

Wow. The instructions are definitely helpful, but not specific enough (except that part about 1.25G per pound!). In general, it is easier to add your strike water first, which is about 15-18F warmer than you want for mashing. First, by adding the strike water to your mashing cooler, you let it warm up the tun while cooling off the water. Once the tun is hot and the water has cooled a few degrees, usually about 10-12F above your target mash temp assuming you have room-temperature grains, you can go ahead and dough-in (pour in grain and stir).

I would go for 152 or 153F because it is a good middle ground for body/dryness, and it allows for some wiggle room.

What I do is heat up water in my hot liquor tun (just a fancy term for a hot water heater- a boil kettle can do this too) to about 175F or so. I pour my strike water into my mash-tun cooler and be careful to measure it along the way to make sure I have the volume I want (usually 1.25Q/pound). After a couple minutes, I take the lid off and get a temperature reading. For a ~10lb grainbill, I'll probably wait until it hits about 165F. If it is still too warm, I'll stir and leave the lid open- it is easier to cool off than to heat back up once it is in the cooler. Once I'm at 165F, I'll pour in my room temperature grains and stir in carefully to break up any clumps. I'll close the door for a couple more minutes, then open up and take another temperature reading. Hopefully, I'll be seeing right around 152F or so.

I'll stir it a couple times during the 60 minute period, and then slowly vorlauf: pour wort from the cooler spigot into a container and carefully pour it all back on top of the mash in order to recirculate the cloudy wort until it becomes clear. Once it is clear, slowly collect these first runnings into your boil kettle.

Sparging is easy. I will measure the amount of wort I collected on the first pass, and subtract that from my target boil volume. The difference is how much you will want to sparge with since no more water will be absorbed or lost to deadspace in the tun. Add your prescribed sparge water in one, two or more passes if you want to split it up. Stir in, vorlauf again until clear, and repeat. Knowing how much water will be absorbed by the grain or will be lost to deadspace in the tun can help, but it isn't totally necessary if you find out how much wort you collect on your first pass.

You can calculate your efficiency by measuring how much water you put into the mash tun, how much you have in your boil kettle (pre-boil), and measuring the gravity of the wort (pre-boil). When measuring this gravity, let the wort cool to room temp before trying to put it on the hydrometer...hot wort wont make a hydrometer give an accurate reading.

To be fair the instructions are a little more detailed in the strike temp, said to heat to 170 and strike at 150.

So lets say I end up adding 9 gallons of water to get 6.25 gallons of wort, I let it cool and take a gravity reading. How do I get efficiency from that?

Ah, it looks like I'm spoiled by Beersmith. It looks like it only has you put in your projected water input in order to predict your efficiencies.

sample recipe:

Grain Amount Pt/lb Total
2 Row 9 lbs 35 315
wheat malt 1/4 pound 38 9.5
crystal malt 1/2 pound 24 12
chocolate malt 1/4 pound 24 6
total 342.5

For mash efficiency calculations, you have to know a lot of information about your grains/ingredients, or use a calculator online (or beersmith) that already has all these numbers. You need to know the potential sugar content per gallon of each ingredient, such as is shown above. You can take the potential total, which is 342.5 in this example, and divide that by how many gallons you collect from your mash tun. A typical 7 gallon pot would allow a maximum theoretical gravity of 1.0489 (342.5/7). When you measure the actual gravity of this pre-boil wort, you then plug that into this number. If you observe a measurement of 1.034, you can then divide that by your theoretical maximum amount (1.034/1.049) to find that your mash efficiency was about 69%.

Palmer does his calculations based on actual pre-boil volume, but many other places adjust theirs to their projected post-boil volume. Either way, you should get the same number.

Brewhouse efficiency takes into account the new gravity measurement and volume that you put into your fermenter from the original theoretical maximum gravity points number.

All 3 were made from AHS kits

First batch:
Green Flash IPA, this was actually my brew partners. Followed the directions probably a little too closely. Soaked the grains in the cooler for the stated time, added sparge water and did the recirculating game for a while the poured off about 6.5 gallons of wort.
Should I have poured off the initial runnings then added sparge water?

Second problem was evaporation, it was a 90 minute boil and when we were done we were only at 4-4.5 gallons of wort left. Gravity was supposed to be over 1.065 and we were only at 1.04ish. We added dme and got the gravity up to 1.05ish then added yeast.

Second batch:
I made this yesterday, it was the Utah Amber ale which I have made before as a mini mash. I soaked grains for an hour at 151, did the recirc then emptied the cooler into the brew pot, added 5 gallons of 170 degree sparge water, then filled the pot till I got to 7 gallons. Boiled for an hour, chilled.
I was supposed to be at 1.045 for my gravity and ended up at 1.047. Added my yeast and I am bubbling away today. I would consider that successful.

Third batch:
Greenbelt pale ale
Got up this AM, pretty much did everything I did yesterday except that my mash temps were a little high, about 154.
Got 7 gallons to a boil and let it go for an hour, chilled and took gravity readings. Was supposed to be at 1.059 and I was only at 1.052, I was tempted to add some dme but said the hell with it.

I am going to assume that the first batch was really off because of the boil volume, the second seemed right on the money and the third off a bit.

Anything strike anyone as off, any advice?

Also how long should the sparge water sit before running it off?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Back