Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies if this has been asked already but there's a lot of pages to this thread.

How will the pumpkin effect the OG i.e. what sugars may it contribute? I've got it in beersmith and my OG is at 1.065 as per the recipe, but this is without the pumpkin as I cannot add this (I don't think?) so I'm wondering if I'm going to end up with an OG of 1.080 or something if I make this recipe as per beersmith but with the pumpkin added to it?
Thanks

Apologies if this has been asked already but there's a lot of pages to this thread.

How will the pumpkin effect the OG i.e. what sugars may it contribute? I've got it in beersmith and my OG is at 1.065 as per the recipe, but this is without the pumpkin as I cannot add this (I don't think?) so I'm wondering if I'm going to end up with an OG of 1.080 or something if I make this recipe as per beersmith but with the pumpkin added to it?
Thanks

I have Libby Pumpkin in my beersmith, in adjunct "add" option, but I think it may have come from some additional file that I added with all sort of canned fruit.

The beersmith profile claims 1.005 SG points per 1 lb of pumpkin. (I have seen some people calculate as much as 1.008 SG points per 1 lb but it's still the same ballpark).
So if you are adding 1.8 lbs to 5 Gallon batch, you will raise SG by maybe .001-.002 (1 or 2 points). Mine went from 1.063 to 1.064 when I add the pumpkin. Bottom line - it will not be super-significant, unless you are one of those people who care about hitting their SG to within 0.1%

Most of pumpkin additions are for flavor/mouthfeel and contains very few fermentable sugars anyways.

See this thread for more details:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=199558

I'm going to be brewing this tomorrow, and I feel like I read somewhere that people were baking the pumpkin at 200F for 2 hours, but it might not have been on this recipe. What are people baking this pumpkin at and for how long?

I'm going to be brewing this tomorrow, and I feel like I read somewhere that people were baking the pumpkin at 200F for 2 hours, but it might not have been on this recipe. What are people baking this pumpkin at and for how long?

I baked mine at 400F for one hour in a 15x10" Pyrex pan. I then covered it put it in the fridge for a couple days before broiling on high for maybe 10 minutes to bring it up to temp just before mash in.

I spread mine out on an insulated baking pan so it's about 3/4" thick. Bake it at 350° for 60 minutes. Let it cool to the same temperature as your strike water and add it in.

I have Libby Pumpkin in my beersmith, in adjunct "add" option, but I think it may have come from some additional file that I added with all sort of canned fruit.

The beersmith profile claims 1.005 SG points per 1 lb of pumpkin. (I have seen some people calculate as much as 1.008 SG points per 1 lb but it's still the same ballpark).
So if you are adding 1.8 lbs to 5 Gallon batch, you will raise SG by maybe .001-.002 (1 or 2 points). Mine went from 1.063 to 1.064 when I add the pumpkin. Bottom line - it will not be super-significant, unless you are one of those people who care about hitting their SG to within 0.1%

Most of pumpkin additions are for flavor/mouthfeel and contains very few fermentable sugars anyways.

See this thread for more details:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=199558

Ideal that's exactly what I was after! I'm not worried about a couple points here and there so that's all good! Thanks

Just a quick question about the extract recipe. When and how should I add the Libby's pumpkin? While steeping the grains or during the boil? Do you put it in a grain bag? Also for a full 5 gallon boil are you adding the LME all at once or doing a later addition for color?

Pretty much any method should work. May as well steep them. You do want to give the extraction some boil time to make sure all is sanitary.

I brewed this one yesterday. Had a clogged sparge (not entirely stuck). Had to forego pumping from the MLT to the kettle and did a slow trickle via gravity. Hit all the gravity numbers right on and this beer is incredibly clear. Ridiculous how clear it is pre-fermentation. View attachment 301935

That's one beautiful gravity sample.

Did you use the AG recipe on page 1 of this thread? Any changes??

I'm inspired!

That's one beautiful gravity sample.

Did you use the AG recipe on page 1 of this thread? Any changes??

I'm inspired!

Yeah, followed the all grain pretty much exactly. It was the first time I used a hop spider, but my second batch of the day (IPA) was nowhere near as clear as this one was. I attribute it to the rice hulls and extremely slow sparge process.

Yeah, followed the all grain pretty much exactly. It was the first time I used a hop spider, but my second batch of the day (IPA) was nowhere near as clear as this one was. I attribute it to the rice hulls and extremely slow sparge process.

Well whatever you did, good on you... :mug:

Brewing this today...It says 2 packs of US-05, but Mr. Malty says I`ll need about 1.2 packs of dry yeast. Should I use .2 of a pack and save the yeast for another brew?

Also, my brewsmith seems to be getting an OG of 1.070 instead of 1.065. Same efficiency and ingredients. Any ideas?

Better over pitch then under. Just made this and pitched 2 and so far so good! Tastes super clean while everything else comes through.

So I ended up with a stuck sparge water disaster. Was not even able to get all of the sparge water out. Had to use some top up water and ended up with 4 gallons at 1.070. Other than that, beer smells pretty good. Pitched about 1.4 packets of S-05. We shall see what time brings.

We ended up getting more grain into the pot than expected as we tried to get as much water from the tun as possible. Is the little ammount that makes it through the mesh going to release much off flavours when boiled?

Left it in primary for 10 days, got down to 1.004. Going to leave it in the keg for a couple weeks before tapping it.

Gotcha. Dang that got kinda dry.

But as a general rule I like to give at least three weeks in primary for heavier beers. I always seem to get a product that is cleaner, both in flavor and looks. YMMV of course

Brewers the extract version of this sat night. First time using safale-04. Pitched two packets at 68 degrees. Ambient temp in basement is 68. Couple things. I followed recipe but wound up with an OG OF 1.080. And fermentation is rolling but raised fermenter temp to 73. Anyone have any idea how this might go for me. I think I need to get a fermentation cooler. Will I have a lot of esters or fruity off tastes?

Has anyone done this recipe by putting some of the pumpkin in the boil instead? I ask this because it may help reduce some of the stuck mash issues, and may transfer a different flavor into the final beer (assuming put in late in the boil)?

Any feedback/thoughts/"you're crazy"'s?

-BD

Has anyone done this recipe by putting some of the pumpkin in the boil instead? I ask this because it may help reduce some of the stuck mash issues, and may transfer a different flavor into the final beer (assuming put in late in the boil)?

Any feedback/thoughts/"you're crazy"'s?

-BD

Over the course of making pumpkin ales, almost all breweries have said they get the most success with using it in the mash. You get most of the flavors with less of the byproducts. Use rice hulls, mash out and sparge slowly and you'll be fine.

Once again I made this. It had a OG of 1.068 and ended at 1.013 today and thats 14 days after. Last time I made it both gravities were about the same and it tasted good and did me well! So looks like I plan to bottle this weekend!!

I hit my og number or at least close but when I taste the wort from hydrometer reading it has a little bite to it. Kind of like an orange rind would. Otherwise it seems great. Any ideas?

I'm hoping to brew this on Friday and have it ready for Halloween (so roughly 6 weeks out). Just had a question.

First time using rice hulls, they just get mixed in with the grain bill? Pumpkin goes into the mash tun before or after grain?

Thanks guys!

Ive done this recipe 3 times. Added 2 pounds of rice hull to the milled grain, and mixed it all together. Dough in and add heated pumpkin to the mash and make sure it's all mixed up good. I start vorlauf slow and let it take it's time. There is no rush so make sure you dedicate a lot of time for this one. I haven't had a stuck sparge any of the 3 Times I've brewed this recipe. Knock knock!

Bottled this last night after a 4 weeks in the primary. Cold crashed with gelatin and it came out really clear. That was my first time using gelatin and I am happy with it so far.

O.G. was 1.066 and F.G. was 1.015 so I hit the recipe pretty well dead on. The sample tasted good, but a bit too sweet for my tastes. It could just be the fact that it was not carb'd and a little bit warm, so I will reserve judgement for a few weeks.

Made this today... And all I can say is holy stuck mash. Was totally worse that I expected given the stuck comments here. My mash stuck so bad I could barely recirculate. In fact, a the grains/pumpkin sludge created such a thick mass that my pump pulled a vacuum though the sight tube and put air under the grain bed!!

Not sure what really went with wrong but I realized I forgot to add the hulls first, so they went in after the grain, then the pumpkin went in. This was a 7.5 gallon batch so perhaps the extra weight of the grain didn't help.

I had to stir throughout the mash, so I have no idea what my real mash temp ended up being. And I am sure I am going to need additional finings later to clear it up. Hit the numbers otherwise, so I will have beer. Just don't know if it will be sweet or dry.

-BD

Made this today... And all I can say is holy stuck mash. Was totally worse that I expected given the stuck comments here. My mash stuck so bad I could barely recirculate. In fact, a the grains/pumpkin sludge created such a thick mass that my pump pulled a vacuum though the sight tube and put air under the grain bed!!

Yikes, this is one beer that makes me glad I don't do 3 vessel brewing. It even seals up the holes on my BIAB bag, which makes it a ***** to drain since I don't have a hoist and I am not Hercules. If you pull it out quick it'll take probably half the wort with it too LOL.

Brewing this one up again today. A little late in the season for it, but it'll be good drinkin' by Thanksgiving (if it lasts that long - this is always a favorite so it goes fast once it's been tapped).

As a suggestion to people with mash issues, I recommend putting the pumpkin in muslin bags. I don't even use rice hulls and I don't have stuck mash issues anymore. I guess it could be argued that you get less pumpkin flavor out of it, but that has not been my experience. I tried this for the first time last year, and there was no lack of pumpkin flavor in it. As I write this I am sparging with a nice, steady flow.

Cheers!

Just approaching the end of the boil. Amazingly enough, NO STUCK SPARGE! I was so paranoid about it. I used about a lb of rice hulls, added first to the mash then grain and finally pumpkin. Had to stir the mash a bit to bring it down to temp, hit 156 and closed the lid. Opened it after an hour and was at 154. Sparged with no issues. That's surprising because I've had stuck sparges with a few of my brews. I might be a rice hull convert.

Once I cool this badboy down what temperature has everyone fermented at? I've got 2 packages of US05 ready to pitch (not rehydrating, I've found it hasnt made much of a difference).

Does anyone know if this beer mellows quite a bit? Its pretty harsh and almost sulphitey tasting a week out. Fermentation is done. I'm not sure if maybe my water additions were off, or if maybe having too many grains in the boil kettle due to stuck sparge may have caused some off flavours. Anyone?

I've read that it gets really good months out. That being said after 1 month primary and a 2-3 week bottle conditioning its incredible. It was great with just the slightest bit if carbonation. Sounds like some may be up with your batch, but maybe it just needs time. I hope the best for you!

Does anyone know if this beer mellows quite a bit? Its pretty harsh and almost sulphitey tasting a week out. Fermentation is done. I'm not sure if maybe my water additions were off, or if maybe having too many grains in the boil kettle due to stuck sparge may have caused some off flavours. Anyone?

I've found that this beer takes between 4-6 weeks before it's really reached it's prime. The alcohol content along with the spices take awhile to blend together and mellow out.
Just kegged mine and it came in with an F.G. of 1.011 producing an ABV of 7.2%.

Just made a version of this... Looking forward to this. Added some chocolate malt to it... Came to og 1.070. Smelled gorgeous going in to the fermentor. Cannot wait for it to finish up!

Once I cool this badboy down what temperature has everyone fermented at? I've got 2 packages of US05 ready to pitch (not rehydrating, I've found it hasnt made much of a difference).

I fermented at 65°F for a couple weeks, then 75°F for a week before cold crashing with gelatin at 35°F. Tasted great and was very clear when I bottled at 4 weeks.

Yeasties like to be rehydrated... says the manufacturers. Doesn't take long to do while your fermenter is coming down to temp.

Back