Clear up confusion on cider please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
I do mostly beer brewing, but as we have one of the largest cider mills in NY state down the road from me, i figured i"d put it to good use.

What I have access to is Mayer Brothers Pasturized Sweet Apple Cider.

first question: Is this different from the "apple juice" requested by Edwort's apfelwein - or is it the same? If it's not the same, can I use it for the recipe with similar results?

second: I read a fair bit on UV vs boil pasturization. As I'm just having some fun with it, can I use this product, which is boiled - or will it turn out awful, and I should "only" use UV pasturized or unpasturized juice?

Lastly - anyone have any suggesitons for what to do with all of this cider that I'll be very happy with? Looking to pull somethng off that makes me excited for cider season.

Thanks!
_tom

Pasteurization is not done by boiling. Temperature ranges for the process run from 135F to 170F depending on exposure time.

Apple juice is just filtered more than cider. As long as there are no preservatives, you'll be fine.

Lastly - anyone have any suggesitons for what to do with all of this cider that I'll be very happy with? Looking to pull somethng off that makes me excited for cider season.

Thanks!
_tom

IMHO the best thing you can do is pitch some yeast and let it do it's thing . . . no sugar, no spices, just yeast and time (I let it go a year b4 I bottle). MAYBE if ya really have a wild hair somewhere do it on oak chips

Back