Beer losing carbonation, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIbrew

Reaction score
Ok. So I tried searching the threads and could not find an answer that fit.

I am brand spanking new to kegging. As such, I went the lazy way and chose the set it and forget it method. I used 2.2 Volumes of CO2 and let the beer sit for 7 days at the correct over pressure (per the chart in the sticky). Now I'm to the point of wanting to drink regularly out of the keg.

The problem I'm having is that my first glass has fantastic carbonation, but subsequent glasses in the same day (within a 4 hour sitting) have MUCH less carbonation and it tastes like flat beer. I can come back the next day and the same thing happens: first glass is wonderful, subsequent glasses are a bit flat for the style.

How do I get the wonderful carbonation of the next glasses to match the first?

Thanks for any wonderful wisdom anyone can impart.

For informational purposes:
Corny keg setup, 5# CO2 tank, regulator set to serving pressure of 10 psi. Using cobra tap, temperature remains constant around 42-45 degrees F.

At the high end of your temp range 10psi will only give you 2.08 vols. Since you are using cobra taps I assume you are opening the door of the fridge, letting the cold fall out on the floor. Try bumping it to 12psi for a couple days (2.26 vols @ 45) and see if that helps.

my initial thought based on your last details is that your brew is simply undercarbed. Give it some more time and up the pressure a few psi.

One of the pluses of kegging, if the carbonation is too low, raise the pressure a couple psi.

Back