Will a 25' 3/8'' copper wort chiller do the job?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I am going to all-grain and will be brewing in a 40qt stainless pot. Will the above be able to cool down the wort in under 20 minutes?

Depending on the temperature of your water that you send through the IC, sure.

Make sure to move that chiller around to get the wort moving. You'll get a faster cooling if you keep the wort moving and avoid hot and cold spots.

Make sure to move that chiller around to get the wort moving. You'll get a faster cooling if you keep the wort moving and avoid hot and cold spots.

+1

If you move swirl the chiller in the opposite direction of the water flow you'll get come counter current flow action to greatly increase your efficiency.

My 25' 3/8" can chill a 5 gallon batch to pitching temps in about 15 minutes. My groundwater is fairly cold though. This time of year it can be anywhere between 45-50F

Don't forget to pull the coils apart so they aren't touching each other.More coil surface to hot wort=better cooling.

+2, I find that in the summer it takes up to 40 minutes to do the job, and I do 10 in the kettle, move to a sanitized 13 gallon bucket and continue (seems to buy a few more minutes since the pot tends to cool slower). I bought a CFC recently as I want to speed it up but otherwise I planned on rigging up a prechiller in an icebucket for my IC for summer cooling.

I've found that in the fall through spring, it's perfectly fine in my 40qt... as long as I get the wort moving. I just stir with a sanitized spoon... the temperature drops quicker, and you get past that little ceiling of temperature right about 80d that way.

In summer, I use a fountain pump in a cooler with a couple gallon jugs frozen solid. With that size IC, I can get the temp down to the mid sixties within thirty minutes. But again, the trick has always been to keep the wort moving during chill.

Back