Cut back on Beer because the belly is too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzman003

Reaction score
Any one else cutting back on their beer consumption because they are gaining too much weight? I've gained 6 pounds so I have to stop drinking until I lose it again. :(

Sad thing is, I can't stop brewing the beer so I figure I would brew more porters and stouts that take a while to age since I can't drink it.

New years resolution - down the drain.....:mug:

That being said, I do keep a pretty vigorous workout schedule and I try to eat healthy. I have a bit of a paunch but I wear it as a badge of honor.

If I ever come down with dickey-do* then I probably would cut back. There is a fine line to balance between indulging in your passion and being healthy. Everything in moderation.

*"mah belly sticks out ferther than mah dickey do!"

Never! I just run a few more miles a week. The fancy new treadmills at the YMCA even tell you how many calories your burning. Two big beers is right around five miles.

Im going the other route and trying to be more active and eat more fresh foods. The beer weight is a real concern though. Im hoping I can make enough of an impact with other lifestyle choices that I dont have to regulate my beer consumption.

I am trying to run more, cut out High Fructose Corn Syrup (Its in EVERYTHING!), eat more whole foods, and work out more. (3x a week)

I noticed that when I went cold turkey for 3 weeks, I lost 6 pounds without changing anything in my diet or workout. Food for thought... no pun intended.

yep. Only one per day and maybe 2 on a weekend night. Also moderate portions, low carbs and exercise. Otherwise I'll gain back the 60lbs I lost.

No reason to stop drinking. Just cut back and start trying to brew the perfect session beer. I run and work out but have a bit more on the sides than I like. I've just started brewing 4% beers to always have on tap which I focus on during the week and then have the bigger fun guys on the weekend. It helped and I felt way better in the mornings!

Yeah, I just started cutting back. I work out almost every day, but we have a "weight race" at our job and i pledged to lose 18 pounds in 12 weeks so i have to cut back. I ride a bike a lot in the summer, so it's not an issue then, but the winters, I get fat.

My grandfather used to say "If you got a good tool, you build a shed over it":D

Some guys has six pack abs, Frankly I like thirty packs better....and well now I'm working on keg.

I work out six days a week; 6'2" 187 lbs (I'm just bragging, that info is irrelevant) but the real question is: how do YOU feel about how you look and feel with your beer belly? If you don't like it, it's as simple as that: cut back and exercise. If you don't like the way you look in the mirror then you have to do something about it because you're the only one who can. That includes cutting back on beer intake.

Which sucks.

i have lost 35lbs in the last 3 months. I drink beer and/or wine everyday. Its all about calorie intake. need to figure out how many calories you need to maintain your desired weight and then make sure you dont consume more than that number, if you do, get out there and do some exercise.

myfitnesspal.com offers a free tracker, its a real eye opener.

I quit 28 days ago and I've lost 28 pounds on a high protein diet! I will never do it again! Thats why my mission is to gain half of that back on Sunday watching a whole bunch of commercials and a football game! I will also crack open the kegs on the 15 gallons of brews I did on New Years day! I cant wait it's gonna be freakin awesome!

Moderation in everything. Before I took up brewing I was working out at the gym every day because I thought I was fat. Well 14% bodyfat (at 6'2") didn't sit too well with my body and I became sickly and ill. I've since gained the weight back and started to feel better (had to work hard to gain the weight back because it's just not the way my body works, but I mananged to do so).

A couple beers a week doesn't kill me.

Any more than that and I'm sure I'd start to gain unwanted weight or feel poor.

I've learned a lot while brewing and can now walk into a bar and sound like I know what I'm talking about by ordering an IPA, Porter, Stout etc. and be able to tell if the beer is made well. So far Leine's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter is my favorite. Tonight even the bartender said she admitted the vanilla in the porter made it more bitter than she liked. But I tend to like the more bitter beers.

Anyway, just rambling on the Internet. Good luck with your weight loss/gain. Balance is hard to find and maintain.

I'll cut the food and exercice twice a day before cutting back on homebrew. That being said, I don't drink monday-thursday, and play hockey 4 times a week. Also, I eat healthy as much as possible and don't eat dessert. That helps a lot !

Keep drinking, work out more!!

buzzman003 said:
Any one else cutting back on their beer consumption because they are gaining too much weight? I've gained 6 pounds so I have to stop drinking until I lose it again. :(

Sad thing is, I can't stop brewing the beer so I figure I would brew more porters and stouts that take a while to age since I can't drink it.

New years resolution - down the drain.....:mug:

It is a concern, but try walking a mile or two (10-20 minutes) each day - that will allow you to indulge in a beer or two a night. If you really want to go hard core get a dog and walk everyday for the rest of your life. ;)

-John

I think more importantly is taking a look at your diet as a whole, not just the beer. I myself gained about 10lbs over the holidays and yes a lot of that was beer. Then again, lots of sweets around in the holidays, roasts, and a ton other heavy food. I think being able to cut down a little bit of everything that's bad for ya would make things easier. Going cold turkey might just make you binge later... or at least that happens to me.. :D

I usually brew session beers and have one a day. Sometimes multiple on the weekends or when friends are in town from some where else. I'm also running a lot more right now as I'm training for a thing called Ragnar. What causes my belly to grow more than having a brew everyday is eating sugary treats that are easily found where I work.

Moderation in everything. Before I took up brewing I was working out at the gym every day because I thought I was fat. Well 14% bodyfat (at 6'2") didn't sit too well with my body and I became sickly and ill. I've since gained the weight back and started to feel better (had to work hard to gain the weight back because it's just not the way my body works, but I mananged to do so).

A couple beers a week doesn't kill me.

Any more than that and I'm sure I'd start to gain unwanted weight or feel poor.

I've learned a lot while brewing and can now walk into a bar and sound like I know what I'm talking about by ordering an IPA, Porter, Stout etc. and be able to tell if the beer is made well. So far Leine's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter is my favorite. Tonight even the bartender said she admitted the vanilla in the porter made it more bitter than she liked. But I tend to like the more bitter beers.

Anyway, just rambling on the Internet. Good luck with your weight loss/gain. Balance is hard to find and maintain.

I am also a sucker for the snowdrift. I keep my drinking to 5 beers a week on average. I have moved from eating red meat to more fish. My boy is a little behind in the school department and since we started getting more omega 3 fats he seems to be doing better. Typically when I want to lose weight I just stop eating refined sugars.

myfitnesspal helped me lose the 30 pounds i needed to lose. I did give up drinking for a month though so that undoubtedly helped.

I am 57 and 300 lbs 6'3. I lift weights at the gym to keep my muscles in shape, but yeah, i am fat and have a gut. i am generally pretty healthy, and I get regular blood tests to make sure everything looks good. Yeah, I could lose some fat, but I enjoy a good meal, and I drink 1-2 homebrews a day. Entertaining I can easily knock down a couple bottles of wine. a buddy and i have both started deleting wheat and rice and high starch foods from our diet........but not wheat beer. we both agree it would be too hard to stop alcohol consumption........we really enjoy beer.

Bunch of Debbie downers.... FAT & Happy come on everyone!

Ok I need to lose 20 lbs too but I'd rather have a leg cut off then stop drinking beer altogether so i guess i better focus elsewhere to cut back

sure did, but im back at it now. i quit for 3 months and was working out alot..went from 220 to 190 in those 3 months.

Good luck! A pint of homebrew equals 250 calories, a 18o pound man would have to walk 5.25 miles at 3mph to burn 500 calories (2 pints), thats 2 hrs of walking! Enjoy the scenery!

Good luck! A pint of homebrew equals 250 calories, a 18o pound man would have to walk 5.25 miles at 3mph to burn 500 calories (2 pints), thats 2 hrs of walking! Enjoy the scenery!

If you jog it shouldn't take more than about 42 minutes on average pace of an 8.5min per mile pace, which isn't a difficult pace to work up to in fairly short time.

It is a concern, but try walking a mile or two (10-20 minutes) each day - that will allow you to indulge in a beer or two a night. If you really want to go hard core get a dog and walk everyday for the rest of your life. ;)

-John

Thats what happened. I had a working dog, Belgian Malinois, and sold him. I used to run him every day. I also miss him terribly.

Back