pear ciders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rae_phillips

Reaction score
Hey I have been looking for the best perry (pear cider) available in texas. I have tasted a few brands and I have not been pleased. can you recommend something for me? I am looking something with finer taste and aroma, not too dry, and not too sweet.

thanks rae

P.S.
I have been looking at this site (http://ciders.com) and it says that you should at least eat before drowning on ciders. :drunk: Not eating works fine with me. I don't experience stomaches or anything. How about you?

The only perry I've had is Ace's Pear Cider. I think it's from California. I've found it in Missouri though, so I'm sure it can be found in Texas.

I love pear cider, will take it over almost anything anyday. I'm lucky enough to live about 20 miles from Herefordshire which is pretty much cider central and home to loads of history.

The one I most enjoyed, personally, is Brother's Pear Cider (created at a place next to Glastonbury and sold exclusively at the festival originally.) Strong, not to sweet and not too sour, not too fizzy, not too flat. Great stuff.

Kopperberg is great, Swedish and very sweet, but quite obviously flavoured instead of fermented, you can really taste the pears.

I'm drinking Gaymers (Bulmers) Pear Cider as we speak, which isn't bad, though nothing special about it - it's more of a casual pear cider. Got it for 90p a bottle on buy one get one free :D. The sun's out, that's my excuse.

St Helier is okay but again, nothing great.

I guess none of these are particulary "real" perry, but they're still good stuff.

Don't know what's available by you, you may be better ordering over the internet in single bottles or whatnot so you can check them out.

Hope this helps! :D

I am going to open a bottle of "oliver's" this evening. A Still, English example. 750ml retails for $17.00 at 7.3% abv. A bit low, methinks. Will report back.

P.S.
I have been looking at this site (http://ciders.com) and it says that you should at least eat before drowning on ciders. :drunk: Not eating works fine with me. I don't experience stomaches or anything. How about you?

Just to chime in on the "hangover" effects of ciders... I. Need. Some. Water... Water, food, or whatever. I can drink two bottles of Edwort's Apfelwein and I'm guaranteed a bad day the next day if I don't eat some food or drink a TON of water. Then again, I do have a weak stomach.

And my own "PS": I've been "drowning" in cider tonight, and the sun is coming up and I'm pissed. I know a hangover is looming. Some of you might be getting up to go to work, but I'm about to go to bed. How's that for self-control. Bah!

I love pear cider, will take it over almost anything anyday. I'm lucky enough to live about 20 miles from Herefordshire which is pretty much cider central and home to loads of history.

The one I most enjoyed, personally, is Brother's Pear Cider (created at a place next to Glastonbury and sold exclusively at the festival originally.) Strong, not to sweet and not too sour, not too fizzy, not too flat. Great stuff.

Kopperberg is great, Swedish and very sweet, but quite obviously flavoured instead of fermented, you can really taste the pears.

I'm drinking Gaymers (Bulmers) Pear Cider as we speak, which isn't bad, though nothing special about it - it's more of a casual pear cider. Got it for 90p a bottle on buy one get one free :D. The sun's out, that's my excuse.

St Helier is okay but again, nothing great.

I guess none of these are particulary "real" perry, but they're still good stuff.

Don't know what's available by you, you may be better ordering over the internet in single bottles or whatnot so you can check them out.

Hope this helps! :D

Good to see there are Brits on this forum.

Kopparberg is nice, tastes best VEEERY cold on a summer evening, Brother's is also very nice (have you tried their Stawberry & Pear cider/ perry?)

Another worth trying is Jacques, made by blending fruit juice with Strongbow, sounds like posh snakebite but I've found both the summer fruits (pear and apple) and the autumn fruits (blackcurranty) are very pleasant.

I've only recently started enjoying cider again after too many drunken antics with Strongbow while young, but with summer coming I've been enjoying it more and more.

Latest posts

Back