Hallertauer, Willamette and Cascade Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignite

Reaction score
Howdy-

I'm thinking of using up some ingredients i've got lying around to make an IPA or Imperial IPA. Still working out the details. Has anyone ever used Hallertauer, Willamette and Cascade hops in a recipe with any luck? Also, feel like I may be overdoing it with about 2oz of each.

Thanks!

I don't think you can possibly go wrong with any of those hops. You'd have to post your recipe to get better feedback though.

:mug:

The first IPA I brewed I used Williamatte for bittering (1.5oz I think) and 2 oz cascade at different intervals, then dry hopped with 1.5 oz cascade. It was just ready to drink yesterday, and it came out great! I'll look up my notes later when I get home and post the recipe (and maybe some pictures of the beer!). It is very smooth and drinkable for an IPA.

The last IPA I made was an incredibly irresponsible use of hops. I used 3oz Cascade for bittering 3oz for flavor, and another 3oz for aroma.:D Just thinking about it is making my mouth water!!!

Cool. That's what i though. I guess I haven't been able to find an IPA recipe that uses both Hallertauer and Cascade. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

Cheers!

To be honest, I would not use the Hallertauer in an IPA. Save them, they are really hard to find right now. They are a really great hop for lightly hopped German beer, a Kolsch for example. You would complete loose the flavor of the Hallertauer if you used them Cascade. If I were you, I would find a nice high alpha to bitter and use you Cascae for flavor and aroma in the IPA.

Back