recomend a good Bitter/ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bperlmu

Reaction score
So im brewing a Red Tale Ale clone this weekend, and after that i am thinking of doing a i bitter of some sort. Anyone out there care to recomend a good extract recipe? Im looking for something nice and balanced with a good traditional british hop presence. Thanks for your input!

bperlmu said:
So im brewing a Red Tale Ale clone this weekend, and after that i am thinking of doing a i bitter of some sort. Anyone out there care to recomend a good extract recipe? Im looking for something nice and balanced with a good traditional british hop presence. Thanks for your input!
Here's an adapted version of the PM I just brewed about a month ago. It's a Special Bitter and I love the flavor.

5.5 gal for pri

3 lbs M&F or Breiss Ex light DME
3 lbs Laaglander Ex light DME
.5 lb carafoam malt
.5 lb dark crystal malt

Steep grains for 30 mins @ 150 deg

7.6 HBU leaf bittering hops 60 mins (what ever you want to use)
7.6 HBU kent goldings leaf 15 mins flavor
1 oz kent goldings 2 min aroma

Burton salts 1 tea 60 mins
Irish moss 15 mins

o.g. = 1.048
t.g. = 1.015

This recipe is calculated for a 3.5 gal boil topping off during the boil so that there is 4 gal at the end of the boil (hot). Cool wort in sink of cold water to bring down to around 85 deg. Pour wort through strainer and funnel to filter through the hops. Need to add 2 gal of cold water to the pri.

Back