hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I decided to calibrate my hydrometer by sticking it into of temperature water, and it should read 1.000 but it was reading .9700. Since the gradings on the scale are linear, would I get away with adding .0300 to my readings when I measure my wort?
Also, can anyone tell me if 1 inch of crystal clear wort floating on top in my carboy is normal? the rest is pretty cloudy...
Thanks again everyone, have a good day!

if fermentation is finishing up, the top of the wort will begin to clear as the yeast drops out.
after a week the whole thing will be clear

stevecaaster said:
Hello everyone, I decided to calibrate my hydrometer by sticking it into of temperature water, and it should read 1.000 but it was reading .9700. Since the gradings on the scale are linear, would I get away with adding .0300 to my readings when I measure my wort?
Also, can anyone tell me if 1 inch of crystal clear wort floating on top in my carboy is normal? the rest is pretty cloudy...

Well, did you use distilled water at 60 degrees? If you did, and it was .9700, then you could add .0300 to your readings. However, that is really off by quite alot and I would recommend getting a new hydrometer!

stevecaaster said:

EDIT***** I was re-reading these posts and realized that I musta had my head up that proverbial dark place when I responded last night. Don't subtract as I said... you are correct to add the .003 back to your reading.

Make sure you are testing at the correct temperature for your hydrometer (usually printed on the slip of paper inside the hydrometer) and adjust the reading if temperature is off using the table that came with the hydrometer or you can find one online. Also, you might want to try it using distilled water.

If your hydrometer reads 0.9970 in pure water at its calibration temperature. This means that it’s reading three “points” low and you should add three “points” from any reading you take in wort or beer. In other words, if your wort reads 1.050, your corrected reading would be 1.053.

If you want to get really fancy you could do a two-point calibration but it's really not necessary.

Lawman said:
Other way around, subtract the .0300 from your readings when you measure.

If your hydrometer reads 0.970 in pure water at its calibration temperature. This means that it’s reading three “points” low and you should subtract three “points” from any reading you take in wort or beer. In other words, if your wort reads 1.050, your corrected reading would be 1.047.

Oops, that's right- subtract the .0300. However, the math in the second part of this is wrong- you wouldn't correct 1.050 to 1.047 (that would be a difference of .003 not .0300) you'd have to correct 1.050 to 1.020 or something ridiculous, that's why I said it was too much of a difference to use that hydrometer. If it was .003 difference, not a big deal. .030 is a big deal. (30 sg points)

Good catch there yooper... :eek: but who has time for math when there's beer to be a drinkin'.

:D

oops it was .003, im sorry, just getting used to that darn thing, but still since it is off the .003 its ok to use i just have to remember to calibrate the readings, thanks a lot everyone!

Lawman said:
Good catch there yooper... :eek: but who has time for math when there's beer to be a drinkin'.

:D

Um, I actually had to use a calculator, because I'm on my third IPA after hockey practice. (Three beers in about 20 minutes-I'm very thirsty)

I'm mathematically challenged even sober, so feel free to check that math! :mug:

About the clear layer, the layer is very distinct, it looks as if its a layer of oil sitting on top of water, not to doubt anyone but this isnt the "Milky layer" ive heard about that is associated with "micro-derm" infections, is it? its wierd looking... thanks everyone for the help!

stevecaaster said:
About the clear layer, the layer is very distinct, it looks as if its a layer of oil sitting on top of water, not to doubt anyone but this isnt the "Milky layer" ive heard about that is associated with "micro-derm" infections, is it? its wierd looking... thanks everyone for the help!

Well, milky and clear are totally different! You said it was clear. If it's clear, that's fine. If it's milky, well, maybe not so fine. Do you have a camera, or can you describe it a little better?

Thanks very much yooper,

Its definatly clear, not milky in color (Im sorry). Sitting on top of the rest of the wort, its 1 inch in height, then on the bottom of the clear level it instantly changes over to murky wort (like oil on water) . A bunch of floating hops and such are sitting on the bottom of the clear layer. The level/size of the clear level has not seemed to change in about 18 hours. i think ROD has the answer tho, but im so anal and scared because it hasnt changed and the discrepancy between the 2 layers is so pronounced, maybe i should just chill out. thanks again

Back