How to connect pump to a switch?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I've been using my ChuggerPump (awesome) by plugging and unplugging it as necessary and I figure there has to be a pretty simple way of connecting it to a switch. I don't want anything too complicated, but as basic as it gets. Any advice is very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Is this really the most basic/simple solution?

No, Pick up a phone, call a electrician, pay him $200 to do it for you is the easiest solution.

wiring a switch to a outlet is about as simple as it gets. You can skip the outlet on the right you wouldn't need that.

It's just a pump, amperage is not a concern.

Here you go. $6.19
311tO%2BHaa%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or a power strip if you have one laying around.

Orhttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410y7UnyvdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg this one if you're fancy
410y7UnyvdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
a slightly easier and cheaper way would be to go to one of the big box stores or your local hardware store/electrical supply house and buy a short extension cord, some wire nuts, metal handy box, and a switch. Cut the extension cord and wire the switch in line. You would wire nut the white and green wires straight thru, basically green to green and white to white so they are passing thru like the cord had never been cut and wire the black or red (hot) wire thru the switch. Or you could do this to your pump cord if you dont care about cutting it up. People in the electrical departments should be able to help you out. I would probably go the extension cord route. I wouldn't pay an electrician unless you are completely not a diy person.

Hi

Water and electricity are not a real good combination. If you are going to go buy an box and switch anyway - get a waterproof one that's designed to be used outside. It'll cost you a bit more, but it might be worth it ....

Bob

Back