Shipping Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born Brewing Co.

Reaction score
I am interested in entering a brewing contest in Iowa. I live in Illinois. Does anyone have and recommendations on how to ship beer. I think I will need to bubble wrap and package at home, and then bring it to the UPS store and lie about what I am shipping. I believe there are restrictions to shipping/mailing alcohol. Any thoughts or ideas from people that have shipped their homebrew would be appreciated. :D

I just shipped beer via ups to a member of the board yesterday. I wrapped the bottles in bubble wrap and then stuffed the box tightly with leftover plastic grocery bags and newspaper. With this combination i could shake and drop the box without any harm to the bottles. I was most nervious about lieing (sp?), im not a good lier. I told her i had shirts in it. Felt about right :rolleyes: Anyway, its not cheap, i mailed 2 12oz bottles form minnesota to texas for $9 ground.

All the UK couriers i've ever used (for over 15 years now) in business have NEVER asked what's in the box but maybe thats been down to my employers agreeing to 'No aerosols, no chemicals, no nazi war criminals, no bengal tigers, etc'.
If you were shipping full propane gas bottles sneakily under a 'cuddily toy' description i'd say no - people could get hurt.
but a couple of beer bottles, well wrapped with no chance of glass popping through to cut if they broke - where's the real harm?

Caplan said:
All the UK couriers i've ever used (for over 15 years now) in business have NEVER asked what's in the box but maybe thats been down to my employers agreeing to 'No aerosols, no chemicals, no nazi war criminals, no bengal tigers, etc'.
If you were shipping full propane gas bottles sneakily under a 'cuddily toy' description i'd say no - people could get hurt.
but a couple of beer bottles, well wrapped with no chance of glass popping through to cut if they broke - where's the real harm?

Its not that it causes harm. Its the government, they like to restrict things like that. Diffrent states have diffrent laws about alcohol and im sure thats the biggest reason you cant sent from state to state.

I understand where your coming from though, I think its kinda dumb, but oh well.

Back