Stout Recipe Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fro

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to brewing and have only ever brewed from the beer kits. However, I have got my hands on some ingredients and would appreciate some suggestions on what to do with them. So then, I have the following -

- Mountmellick Stout beer kit
- 500g Dark DME
- 500g Light DME
- 100g Fuggles hops
- 100g Goldings hops
- 500g Crystal malt (crushed)
- 500g Black malt (crushed)

Would i be right in thinking that the crystal malt and black malt are suitable for steeping? Any recipe suggestions would be great. Thanks.

My first Oatmeal Stout was one of my favorite I've brewed. I steeped the Black and Roasted Barley along with some Chocolate Malt and Flaked Oatmeal.

Here's my recipe:

.75 lbs Roasted Barley
.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
.2 lbs Black Malt
1 lbs Flaked Oatmeal

3 lbs Pale LME
2 lbs Amber LME
2 lbs Dark LME

1.25 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
.75 oz Goldings 60 min

.25 Northern Brewer 15 min

Steep grains between 160-170 for 40 min.

Did the kit not come with instructions?

You are right, the crystal and black malt are specialty grains and are meant to be steeped.

Are the hops pellets or whole?

The kit did come with instructions but they are the usual add 1kg of sugar. As i have some DME and some speciality grains and hops i would like to enhance the beer kit if possible.

The hops i have are not pellets. They are more like broken up whole hops.

The Beer kit is a 1.8kg can of hopped malt extract. It comes with a sachet of dried yeast. It doesn't have any other ingredients listed. It is a called Mountmellick Dublin Stout and is by Muntons.

fro said:
Hi,

I'm new to brewing and have only ever brewed from the beer kits. However, I have got my hands on some ingredients and would appreciate some suggestions on what to do with them. So then, I have the following -

- Mountmellick Stout beer kit
- 500g Dark DME
- 500g Light DME
- 100g Fuggles hops
- 100g Goldings hops
- 500g Crystal malt (crushed)
- 500g Black malt (crushed)

Would i be right in thinking that the crystal malt and black malt are suitable for steeping? Any recipe suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Sounds like you got the makings of a pretty good stout. I'd get a better yeast than what was in the kit and use most of the ingredients. The only thing I would leave out is most of the Black malt, thats alot of Black.
I'd suggest steeping 500g Crystal and 125-250g Black.
Bring to a boil and add the beer kit, and DME.
Because the beer kit is hopped you don't really need bittering hops.
I'd use the hops as a 15min and 5min additions.
So use one of the hops, boil for 10 min, add the other hops (or alternatively half of each at each addition), boil for 5 more minutes.
Cool, add to fermenter, top up to 5 gal and pitch yeast.

Good luck
Craig

Back