I thought I would never go AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince805

Reaction score
Yesterday I completed just my 4th batch of brew. The first 2 batches were extract kits, the 3rd was a partial mash using a bag in an igloo 2 gallon cooler. The 4th was another partial mash, but this time using a braid/valve setup with the same 2 gallon cooler. The process was great! Until it came time to pour in the LME. So sticky and messy. I now see the light!

I did an AHS Oatmeal Stout kit, and my OG came in at 1.051 (estimated was 1.053). This was also the first time I used a starter, and this morning that thing is bubbling like crazy!

I have one more partial mash kit (AHS rogue hazelnut clone) to do, and then I plan on going AG. My first AG batch will be BeerMuncher's Centennial Blonde, and I can't wait!

+1 basics of all grain are easy but getting everything dialed in and the whole process tight takes time effort and knowledge... At least for me. Getting temps and ferm temps and stir plates etc took some time but it rocks!

I've been doing AG for about 4 years now, brewing for 5. I still have a lot of love for extract brewing. You can make some awesome brews with extract. I still do extract batches every once in a while if I'm strapped for time and don't want to deal with grinding and mashing, and the extra equipment to clean.

I just did two extract batches last weekend. When I have plans, I'll squeeze two simultaneous extract batches in real quick in the morning (before the wife wakes up). Aside from those types of brews, I've never looked back. AG is way easier than people make it out to be.

I think I'm one of few people who started ag, never did extract or anything.

I think people think ag is more difficult than it is. It's just different from extract and needs a bit more equipment and time.

I spent a bit over a year doing mostly extracts with a mini mash here and there.

I did my first AG this weekend and I'm hooked. Needless to say, not everything went according to plan, but it was a great learning experience and I'm looking forward to improving my process with each future batch.

I don't think i'll be going back to extracts any time soon! :ban:

I think people think ag is more difficult than it is. It's just different from extract and needs a bit more equipment and time.

I am one of those people too, I have also never bottled a batch, I have been kegging from day one.

I agree with everyone's comments. I thought AG would be much more difficult. You see these peoples brewing sculpture setups with multiple burners and pots and it just seems like that would require way more equipment than I already have. Now I realize I just need to get a 5 gallon cooler and I'll be able to do an AG batch. I have 2 existing 5 gallon coolers (we use for serving punch at partys) that I will use as hot liquid tanks for the sparge water. So I can do it with just one burner and pot.

I didn't think of it as being difficult, but rather exciting. Working with extract was fun, but when you work with all grains, seeing the starting product and then the resulting wort in the carboy gives me satisfaction, as messed up as that may seem.

+1

Done both plenty of times, and I don't care what anyone says, AG produces a better beer. Period. Congrats on the upgrade ;)

I lost my AG cherry this weekend!

I was pleasantly surprised on how quick the AG process was, by the time I step grains and muck about with an extract batch it seems to take about the same amount of time. I like not having to freak out about stirring in the LME and not having it burn on the bottom.

I started heating the first running before my batch sparge and the second batch sparge (some how I miscalculated the amount of water needed so I needed a second) runnings were added to the kettle so the whole thing of getting the wort to the boil took less time. I'm hooked on AG with just one take.

Clem

I've only got three AGs done, two successful and it my not so humble opinion I taste a better complexity of malts in my AG brews (only one is kegged, the other I keep taking reading :mug:). Maybe its mental.... I honestly don't know. I loved both means of making beer, but I'm loving AGs complexity a tad more. I feel its more "me".

I've discovered that AG may take longer to brew, but it does feel like less work, but it feels more hands on. Again, hard to explain. And the equipment, you can get by on the cheap, and I started out that way, but I'm like a kid wanting more ice cream. Pumps, 20g kettles, CFCs, oh my...

I will say I have more time to grill and drink beer, and talk to the neighbors while my grains are mashing or my sparge is...eh...sparging. It turns into a more relaxing day for me which is what brewing is all about: making great beer and enjoying the hobby.

I love this hobby.

I agree with everyone's comments. I thought AG would be much more difficult. You see these peoples brewing sculpture setups with multiple burners and pots and it just seems like that would require way more equipment than I already have. Now I realize I just need to get a 5 gallon cooler and I'll be able to do an AG batch. I have 2 existing 5 gallon coolers (we use for serving punch at partys) that I will use as hot liquid tanks for the sparge water. So I can do it with just one burner and pot.

Many people are surprised to learn that my first AG setup cost me less than 5 bucks.

ChillWill said:

I have never brewed an extract beer. Started with AG also.

I did one extract, hated it, stopped for a couple years, then went right into ag. Every other sunday is dedicated to brewing, I don't do a damned thing else. It's very relaxing. Not to mention I get to start drinking at 9am.

I've been doing this for 8 months now and try to introduce a new thing into each brew day. Step mashing, water chemistry, etc. Each time it gets easier and easier even with the addition of more complication.

Back