Keezer build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTO_Guy

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to hinge the lid so it will open forward so you dont have to move it off of the wall every time you need to get something in and out?

Careful!

Drilling new holes into the freezer may be more problematic than you think -
Chest freezers have coils wrapped around the inside (cooling) and outside (heat release). You don't want to puncture those.

You could turn it around, and "dress" it to look better?

I just keep it off the wall, i figure this will allow extra ventilation for the compressor. Plus if you had it open from the front how would you access the inside. It just seams that the advantage of not having to move your keezer would be out weighed by the hassle of trying to put a keg in or out of it.

If you do it, please upload a pic :ban:

Mine is small and on wheels, so it is very easy to move it around and away from the wall.

But otherwise, you could simply flip it, it might just not look nice to have the hinges visible.

I built my own lid for my keezer and split the top into 2 with hinges on the sides.

IMG_20110805_182647.jpg

I built my own lid for my keezer and split the top into 2 with hinges on the sides.

What do you use for seals on that set up? Seems like it would be difficult to keep it air tight, especially on the back edge of the lid sections and where the two halves meet. I do like this configuration though. Nice work!

Thanks. I was in the same boat as GTO guy. Moving a 15 cu ft chest freezer back and forth over the carpet was a pain.

Bigger casters can make that pretty easy. I went with four inchers and my 10cf with all six kegs loaded up rolls over the carpet without a struggle...

Cheers!

What do you use for seals on that set up? Seems like it would be difficult to keep it air tight, especially on the back edge of the lid sections and where the two halves meet. I do like this configuration though. Nice work!

Pink foam insulation goes right up against the wood to seal it off that way. I am adding a 2x2 in between the two doors. The top was cut from the same boards so they fit together very tightly. It is not air tight but I have not had any issues with condensation so far. Tub of damp rid is in the bottom of the thing.

Bigger casters can make that pretty easy. I went with four inchers and my 10cf with all six kegs loaded up rolls over the carpet without a struggle...

Yeah I have 3" on there right now. More of a thing where I wanted to be able to leave it in place and not have to move it. I am also building a shelf for glasses and temperature controller on the back half that doesn't open.

Careful!

Drilling new holes into the freezer may be more problematic than you think -
Chest freezers have coils wrapped around the inside (cooling) and outside (heat release). You don't want to puncture those.

You could turn it around, and "dress" it to look better?

I would be doing the "dressed" style with a coffin on top. I guess flipping it could be an option. I was thinking If I had to add any type of a collar I could bracket the original holes and use the old "stock" hinge in the front. I would be able to access from the sides to put the kegs in. I dunno, just using my noggin a bit. I like the side flip too but with the coffin on top that may not be an option .

Pink foam insulation goes right up against the wood to seal it off that way. I am adding a 2x2 in between the two doors. The top was cut from the same boards so they fit together very tightly. It is not air tight but I have not had any issues with condensation so far. Tub of damp rid is in the bottom of the thing.

Yeah I have 3" on there right now. More of a thing where I wanted to be able to leave it in place and not have to move it. I am also building a shelf for glasses and temperature controller on the back half that doesn't open.

Good to know. Thanks for the reply. I'm working on a chamber and how to seal the doors well had me stumped. I think I will try something similar.

Good to know. Thanks for the reply. I'm working on a chamber and how to seal the doors well had me stumped. I think I will try something similar.

If I need to get it more air tight, I will probably line the inside with some quarter round moulding and use window weather stripping on that.

Back