Expired WLP550

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenHops

Reaction score
Just a note regarding expired yeast. I had some WLP550 that Expired on Feb-11. I was getting a little concerned since I've never gone that far past the expiration date. On July 3 I decided to use it in a 5 gallon batch. I made a 1.2 liter starter. I planned to wait longer than my normal 24 hours before cold crashing the starter, but I had something come up. I couldn't wait. At 24 hours the starter was showing slight signs of activity, though not as much as I would anticipate from fresh yeast.

After cold crashing and decanting most of the liquid, I pitched the yeast. I expected some lag. However, after 8 hours fermentation is going strong. So nearly 5 months past expiration -- with a normal starter -- things look good. The beer OG was 1.056. I'll post the FG in a couple of weeks.

Finally, I made several slants from the expired yeast. Even the slants are showing strong yeast growth after 48 hours.

Claudiusb, (a member on this forum) is stepping up a yeast from 2005 or 2006. This thing has been expired for years. I just spoke with him and he said it smelled different than that yeast usually does, but I guess we will see what happens. It is defiantly alive and kicking!

Back