Boil volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanOmite

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question regarding my final volume after the boil. I brew three-gallon batches due to a limited kitchen and space. Here is how I usual brew:

1) Mash in 1 gallon of water (have a 2 gallon kettle)
2) Steep with 0.5 gallons hot water
3) Add half LME while bringing wort to a boil
4) Boil for some predetermined time and add rest of LME towards the end
5) Cool
6) Add to fermenter along with another 2 gallons of water (sometimes a bit more, it depends on how much I lost in the boil)
7) Add yeast.

The thing is, during the boil a lot of the wort seems to evaporate. I would say I end up with 1 to 1.3 gallons of wort. I have tried putting a lid on, but it always boils over. I find it very hard to control the temp with my crappy little electric stove.

Questions:

1) Is it normal to lose that much of the wort during the boil?
2) Regardless of (1), is there a more effective volume I should be aiming for or general way of handling these smaller batches and limitations?

Do not put on a lid, you will only increase the temps which will result in, well you know a boil over. Plus you will trap in nasties that need to evap out.

I would get a bigger pot. I got one at wall mart that is 5.5 gallons for $40, and I do 3 gallon stove batches on it. I put the lid on to get it to a boil, and cock the lid sideways leaving a little space for steam to get out.

I love my three gallon stove batches, I also do up to 10 on a burner with a keggle. If evap is a real problem in the size pot you have, try starting with more water, or about half way through (or with at least 15 minutes left) stop the clock on your boil, add some more hot water, and start the clock again when you get your boil back up.

I have a question about this; '4) Boil for some predetermined time and add rest of LME towards the end'

Does this mean you are adding 1/2 of the LME at the end of your boil? Or the end of a predetermined time?

BTW, yes I am brand new to the forum and getting back into brewing after a 9 year leave.

I have a question about this; '4) Boil for some predetermined time and add rest of LME towards the end'

Does this mean you are adding 1/2 of the LME at the end of your boil? Or the end of a predetermined time?

BTW, yes I am brand new to the forum and getting back into brewing after a 9 year leave.

Many people now add the bulk of the extract late in the boil. That keeps the wort from darkening, increases hops utilization, and reduces the flavors of carmelization.

When I did extracts, I'd add about 3/4 of the extract at flame out.

The thing is, during the boil a lot of the wort seems to evaporate. ....

Is it normal to lose that much of the wort during the boil?
You are not losing wort, you are losing water. You are (correctly) adding water back at the end of the boil. No worries!

Back