Aeration time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
Got an O2 system from my wife as a gift. Diffuser wand, regulator and tubing. Just add O2 from the hardware store. I've been reading around and it seems there are some different opinions on how long you should aerate. I know a lot of people who use the aquarium air pumps and aerate longer with one of those and a filter. Makes sense.

But what about pure O2? The couple of times I have used it, I have gone no more than a minute for fear of foaming too much wort out of the fermenter (Better Bottle is what I have been using). I usually turn it up just high enough so that I can see the affects of the O2 on the surface of the wort. Then I spend the next minute moving the wand to different places in the fermenter, just to get the O2 mixed in well.

Once the bubbles look as if they are going to leave the fermenter, I shut the whole thing down and pitch my yeast.

Depends on gravity and temp, but a minute should be fine for most beers.
oxygen-solubility-water-2.png

Yeah a minute is how long I go, and I beleive that is what Jamil recommends as well although he actually knows his flow rate. I just turn the bottle on and go for a minute and everything turns out fine.

I use 1-2 minutes with the flow at its slowest, but my system isn't the same as yours. I had to make my own system here as the O2 bottles are different.

Back