1 gallon cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmolledo

Reaction score
I bought a 1 gallon glass jug on fresh organic apple juice. I was wondering how i can convert this into hard cider, should I just shake it up and pitch yeast into it?

Other than a blow off or airlock, that's all you need. Oh, you might want to take a small amount out just to give you some room in the jug.

I bought a 1 gallon glass jug on fresh organic apple juice. I was wondering how i can convert this into hard cider, should I just shake it up and pitch yeast into it?

I'm going to make a half gallon. I just bought a half gallon jug of pasteurized apple juice. I'm going to let it warm up to near room temp, then I'm going to pitch the yeast in the jug, stir, put the top back on loosely, put it in a few plastic bags, store it in a cabinet, and wait.

how long just about do you think it will take, i've read some posts that said a couple weeks and i read others that said 6-9 months in the primary before bottling

ok, we'll see what happens. I heated up about a cup of honey and a tablespoon of brown sugar in some spring water and added it to the juice (poured out 1/4 gallon of the juice prior to this) pitched the yeast and air locked it up. we'll see what happens

happy trails, you've just taken your frist step down the side of a mountian. I remember when i first did what you do now. Oh its been a long time. Cheers and good luck

how long just about do you think it will take, i've read some posts that said a couple weeks and i read others that said 6-9 months in the primary before bottling

I'm pretty new to all of this, but Nottingham is an ale yeast, right? Seems to me that 3-4 weeks will be sufficient. Isn't 6-9 months based on wine yeasts?

Thats mostly a complex question. Yeast is yeast, it will take time to ferment. The type of yeast controls more then just speed, it also controls taste. and half a dozen other variables. What actully determines time is what your fermenting. The high SG of honey and the enviorment it creates makes fermentation times much higher. Simple stright Juice cider will ferment out in 3-4 weeks. Add even 1-3 pounds of honey you double that time easily. Its not a matter of how fast the yeast is but the enviorment and ammout of work it takes to ferment.

One thing you need to remember is that time is the most important element in brewing. Be pacient and dont rush things.

Drink them in good health

i ended up using wine yeast because i figured it would be more comfortable in a high alcohol enviroment...and it was CHEAP! I'm going to let it sit out of sight and out of mind for 1 month, then bottle and let them sit for another 2 months. i'll keep everyone updated

oh yeah...I forgot about the extra sugar... that does take extra time.

I didn't add any extra sugar to mine, so I'm planning on doing 3-4 weeks (depending on clarity) in the primary and then 3 weeks bottled on my half gallon.

19866_266511581385_575111385_3867051_4679440_n.jpg

2nd day of fermentation with some good-looking krausen on top! :rockin:

won't that pop without an airlock?

No, I cut an airway through the threading on the inside cap of with a knife, and then put it back on loosely. I got the idea from my Mr. Beer kit.

As a precaution, I am storing it inside of 2 plastic bags.

I just tried my cyser via turkey baster and it tastes awesome just after 1 week and it tastes very strong. I can't wait until this is done!

Back