WL English Ale versus British ale yeast f/mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
Next up for me is a mild....opinions on WL English Ale versus British Ale yeast for this style. LHBS has both.

I've used English Ale a fair number of times and like it (other than having a hell of a time washing it clean!). Last time I used it I ended up with a wild yeast infection, so dumped the jars I had, even though I suspect the infection was from transfer.

I understand that British Ale is the same as Wyeast Ringwood, which I've read of some people indicating issues using in closed fermentation. Never used this strain myself.

Whichever I use, I plan on washing and using in other English/British ale styles afterward, so versatility is key.

Anyway, opinions appreciated.

I do not like the Ringwood yeast. I do not like how you have to tend to it so much for it to attenuate. I do not like the flavors it puts in the beer.

I do really like the wlp002. I have used it in a number of English beers including a mild and have liked it in each.

Back