(another) Electric Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbowler

Reaction score
Home Depot has 3 left for $59.00

28 qt capacity (enough?)

removable "liner"

no drain plug or anything but even if you never used the electric part, $60 is not too bad for a 7 Gallon pot...

I bought it on an impulse, but now realize it's probably a little small. I think I paid $69 for it. It's actually more than a little small, this isn't one of the times when they understate the size at all, it holds pretty close to exactly seven gallons. I'm using it for the first time this weekend, but I'm probably only going to boil 4 or 5 gallons, not the 6 ot 6.5 that you'd usually start with for AG. I'll basically do a partial mash, I have a bit more than seven pounds of grain to go along with 2.5# of DME.

Ultimately, I'll get a keggle and a propane burner, and I'll use this to heat mash and sparge water. So, it's not a waste - but I probably would have spent the money on a bit (at least 8.5 gallon) propane burner if I could do it over again.

I'll be curious too see what you think.

I'm going to get a 8 or so gallon pot from a restaurant supply shop, but If it's gonna be much more than $50 or if it will cause a problem on the stove top, I may go back to Home Depot.

I don;t have a Propane set up at my house (lump charcoal is for real men) so I'd be a few $$$ away from a 8.5 gallon Burner set up

That *is* a good price, and I doubt the three will last very long. It'll be integrated into the system long-term, and it may allow me to brew AG or mostly-AG batches indoors this winter. I have a nasty feeling it's going to be a very stressful brew session, battling boilovers. I had to get SOMETHING though, because the electic range just doesn't have the output to really keep 3 gallons at a rolling boil. This will be an improvement for partial-boil extract/PM recipes at the very least.

Those are made from aluminum though aren't they. As many are aware their is great debate between aluminum and SS. I like to heat water in an aluminum pot heats quickly but always brew with my SS pot.

I have a gas stove with one Super High output burner, boils 4 gallons easy.

I guess I'm really after a 8+ gallon pot, I should stick with that as my stove will have no problem boiling that.

but it's tempting...

davy said:
Those are made from aluminum though aren't they. As many are aware their is great debate between aluminum and SS. I like to heat water in an aluminum pot heats quickly but always brew with my SS pot.

Aha!!!

ok, I'm convinced. Resteraunt supply here I come...

Back