I won BOS: Las Vegas Winterfest 2009!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you won Boston?!?

J/K congrats, Rob

But then again, the competition out there isn't very good ;)

I call work!

Unless you can send me a full keg of that recipe for me to sample. :p

Congrats! Thats awesome!
-Me

Thanks everyone.

I'll be posting the recipe later tonite. This win qualifies me for a possible entry in the GABF Pro-AM, so I'm pretty jacked.

Essentially this was a 60/40 wheat bill with Elderflowers, Grains of Paradise and Pear Extract with French Ale Yeast and a 120 minute caramelization boil.

Congrats! It's always great to hear success stories of fellow HBT'ers.

I look forward to seeing the recipe.

congrats.gif

Fook'n A! That is fantastic! Congrats on the win; you must be beaming! Looking forward to seeing that recipe! And... waiting to see if you move on to the GABF Pro-Am!

There's no 2 ways about it, this is a frou frou beer.
It's supposed to be.

I can tell you that it's extremely aromatic and flavorful, but not sweet despite the ingredient list.
It was brewed based on notes taken from an AB pilot brewery and also an answer to Ron Kloth's (of Papago brewing) version which scored a 41 in the GAzHC.

I'm grateful to Ron for driving my entry up to Las Vegas to get it qualified for Pro-AM contention.

A version of this beer, hopefully mine, has a strong possibility of being on tap at Papago.

Holy hell... I had no idea that THAT was the recipe that won!!! Congrats - it was an interesting brewday, and I now feel very special that I got to try a sample! :mug:

You were telling me about this beer when we met up for lunch back when. Congrats! I want to see the recipe.

I know I promised a recipe but I'm really swamped right now. Here's a breadcrumb for ya.

Following are the details of Ron Kloth’s Experimental Beer :
“The beer should be wheat beer based. I did 60/40. Yeast can either be a neutral yeast or I think a Belgian yeast might be good also. I used an WL American Ale V in the first batch and the WL Saison Blend in the second.

Shoot for about 5% abv so starting gravity is in the 1.040 to 1.055 range. Mine was 1.045 in the first batch and 1.055 in the second. It has Elder flowers added in the boil at the very end of the boil. According to the brewer at AB use about 8-10 grams in 5 gallons.

The flowers are light in weight - so this is more than it sounds. This is about 0.3 ounces. She also recommends low IBUs with citrusy type hops (3-5 IBUS) although I would go up from there to maybe 10 IBUs. I calculated out 10 IBUs in mine.

The lightly crushed grains of paradise are 1 gram per 5 gallons also added at the end of the boil.

I ordered my pear extract from Take Your Diet to the Next Level with Organic and Natural Flavored Syrups and Toppings! according to them with their extract they recommend starting out at .5% to the
volume of beer and increasing from there according to taste. In the American Ale batch I added 80 ml (2.7 oz) of the extract to the beer; I haven't added it to the saison yet.

The local homebrew shops carry the elder flowers and grains of paradise.

The pear extract gets added in the secondary. ”

Back