How do i get naturally carbonated beer, filtered then bottled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrbeers

Reaction score
I want my beer naturally carbonated with no sediment in bottle.
I haven't figured this out. If i filter my beer i can't put it in the bottles and carbonate it because it needs the yeast. I read somewhere that I can't carbonate it then filter it. I don't want to force carbonate it in a keg and bottle it. And I would naturally carbonate it in a keg but it can't be filtered first and can't be filtered after? I dont get it.

If you natural carb in the keg, then bottle you should not have sediment in your bottles. Once it's kegged and cooled only the first draw will have a little yeast. After that you should be golden to bottle.

Welcome to HBT!

I want my beer naturally carbonated with no sediment in bottle.
I haven't figured this out. If i filter my beer i can't put it in the bottles and carbonate it because it needs the yeast. I read somewhere that I can't carbonate it then filter it. I don't want to force carbonate it in a keg and bottle it. And I would naturally carbonate it in a keg but it can't be filtered first and can't be filtered after? I dont get it.

During natural carbonation yeast feed on the sugar to produce CO2 so you have to narturally carbonate before filtering.

However carbonated beer when forced through a filter will foam badly meaning you can't filter carbonated beer. So you cannot have filtered and naturally carbonated beer without adding additional yeast after filtering, eliminating most of the reason to filter.

Carbonating in a keg then filling the bottles after a good time to clear will result in very little sediment in the bottles. It does not completely eliminate the sediment but you may be hard pressed to find it.

The big question is why are you so opposed to force carbonation. Most people who can do. If you want "real ale" that fine but it comes with yeast. If you could filter it to remove the yeast then you will not be able to tell the difference between force and naturally carbonated. After all CO2 is CO2.

Craig

Okay that sounds like a good idea either way, i might try natural carbonation in keg then bottle or just force carbonate it... i haven't tried force carbonating yet but i bet it would work just as good. thanks:mug:

You could filter and then krausen with a small amount of fermenting wort. That allows you to filter the bulk sediment, old yeast, haze, etc while still gaining the benefits of natural carbonation. Keg carbonating and then bottling is a good option.

You CAN filter carbonated beer - that's how the big boys do it. You simply require an adequate back pressure to prevent excessive foaming. So if you're filtering from keg to keg with a common candle type filter, use a bleed valve on the outlet of the receiving keg. Set your regulator (for pushing through the filter) at your carbonation pressure plus 2-4 psi, then simply open your bleed valve on the receiving keg to allow flow and filtration of beer.

I must disagree that CO2 is CO2. Taking the statement at face value: yes, it's carbon dioxide. But the quality of carbonation can be different due to increased nucleation sites in a naturally carbonated beer, as well as other factors. And a naturally carbonated beer has yeast which is generally going to improve your beer by consuming oxygen, off flavors, etc.

The best beers I've tasted have certainly been naturally carbonated...

Back