CDA critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
Working on my next brew here and want to get some insight. If anyone out there has experience with this style, then I'd really appreciate your comments.

CDA/Black IPA - extract+steeping grains
5.5 gallons

OG 1.069
FG (est) 1.016
IBU 91 (rager)

4.5# Muntons light DME
3.3# Muntons LME (LATE)
12oz Dextrose (LATE)

1# Crystal 10L
12oz Carafa Special II
12oz Special Roast

60min - 0.5oz Columbus
30min - 1oz Chinook
15min - 1oz Centurion (centennial type)
8min - 1oz Cascade
hop steep 30min - 1oz Centurion
DH 7 days - 2oz Cascade, 0.5oz Columbus

WLP001/ Pitch at 66degF, ferment at 68degF for 21 days + 7 days DH

I make a similar BIPA with a Nugget/Centenntial/Citra hop sched. I use Carafa III instead of II and toss in a couple of ounces of roasted barley as well. Its one of my favorites.

Im wondering why you are doing late additions on a beer that is mean to be black? Looking for more hop utilization?

I make a similar BIPA with a Nugget/Centenntial/Citra hop sched. I use Carafa III instead of II and toss in a couple of ounces of roasted barley as well. Its one of my favorites.

Im wondering why you are doing late additions on a beer that is mean to be black? Looking for more hop utilization?

Thanks for your response, joyceman. Yes, I like doing late additions for the better hops utilization... I am looking at what hops are available to me at the moment, I think that I may change my original approach and use Nugget or Warrior with Cascade.

Looking forward to brewing this next week! Here's my final recipe.

4# Muntons light DME
3.3# Muntons light LME (Late)
1# Dextrose (Late)

1# Carafa II De-husked 430L
1# Briess Caramel 10L
10oz Briess Special Roast 50L

60min - 0.75oz Warrior
15min - 1oz Willamette
10min - 1oz Cascade
5min - 1oz Cascade
Hop Steep 30min - 1oz Cascade
DH 7days - 1oz Cascade/1oz Willamette

Whirlfloc @ 15min
Wyeast nutrient @ 10min

WLP001

Brew day! CDA

image-3964951954.jpg

Big order from Northern Brewer for 2 batches

image-1012054562.jpg

image-931730465.jpg

Everything is measured out

image-580122933.jpg

image-1854387271.jpg

image-3829492485.jpg

Boil time!

image-3187611936.jpg

1000ml starter

image-363118884.jpg

Right on the money 1.070

image-939855275.jpg

Nighty night big guy

Looks real good. Seems as if you picked up a few pointers from me in my past postings. The only thing glaring is the pitch temp. I recommend pitching this yeast around 60-62 F because active fermentation can increase the wort temp. to about 66-70 F. I assume this will ferment down slightly more, to about 1.014, which will be a good thing. Would recommend adding another oz. to the dryhop.

Looks real good. Seems as if you picked up a few pointers from me in my past postings. The only thing glaring is the pitch temp. I recommend pitching this yeast around 60-62 F because active fermentation can increase the wort temp. to about 66-70 F. I assume this will ferment down slightly more, to about 1.014, which will be a good thing. Would recommend adding another oz. to the dryhop.

You bet BB! Thanks for all of your valuable insight. :mug:

Question: Are you saying if my fermometer reads 60F, then my wort is actually 66F? I thought that they are pretty accurate, provided the ambient temps are about the same (within 10deg). It reads 64F right now and is bubbling away.

Are you saying if my fermometer reads 60F, then my wort is actually 66F? I thought that they are pretty accurate, provided the ambient temps are about the same (within 10deg). It reads 64F right now and is bubbling away.

No. I'm saying that if your actual wort temp. was 66 F when you pitched the yeast, then you cannot rely on ambient air temp. at 66 F or warmer to maintain that temperature during active fermentation. Your wort will most likely rise to 70-74 F despite air temp. reading cooler. This is why I recommend pitching the yeast at the lower end of the recommended fermentation temperature range.

**UPDATE**
After 2 weeks in the bucket, I decided to check the SG and sneak a little taste. I'm only at 1.018 :( higher than the 1.014 I was hoping for. And there still appeared to be a brown krausen on top of the beer. I would have thought that it would have dropped by now... The sample was good, green as hell but good. Floral and citrus from the hops and chocolatey roasty goodness from the carafa. I am attributing the high SG to the cold temps in my brewery (aka the spare bath) lately. It's been getting down to 61 in there and I think it has made the yeast pretty sluggish. The thermometer on the bucket was reading 66/67F during the first week of a very active fermentation, but since then it has dropped to ambient temps. Today, I decided to move the bucket to my office where it's a toasty 67/68; gave it a few swirls around to rouse the yeast a bit. I have airlock once again activity so it looks like my sluggish yeasties have gone back to work :ban:

4 weeks later it's all bottled up. 24 bombers and 4 12ozers. Used about 3.5oz dextrose to carb to 2.5vol. Tastes pretty good, although i am ruined by having a pint of FW wookie jack last night. Damn that stuff is good. Next time I decide to make a cda I'll shoot for something closer to the FW.

My Cda attempt tastes of smooth chocolatey malt with no harsh roastiness. Silky, somewhat thick mouthfeel which may change as it carbs up. Cascades really balance out the dark malt. I'm happy that I decided to DH with an additional oz of cascade. Thanks for the suggestion bob.

image-1236985726.jpg

image-1477059746.jpg

SWMBO got me personalized caps for Christmas! Best present ever!

Almost 3 weeks in the bottles and couldn't resist the urge to pop a 12ozer... Wow! Dee-freaking-licious! Cascades are really front and center with a silky smooth roasty toasty finish. Mmmm Mmmm good

image-1879399803.jpg

image-2634339128.jpg

Latest posts

Back