My Brewtroller Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristan

Reaction score
Well, here is the beginnings of my Brewtroller, Gas Fired, HERMS system. I have been looking on this site for ideas and the general idea for my stand came from Nickstek (I think that is the spelling). Great design and I loved the burner brackets so I went with it. I went with the same dimensions for the stand. My changes were to seal the tops of the legs, eliminate the upright supports, and integrate a gas manifold into a support on the back of the stand.

As for the upright supports, I ended up not needing them at all. I used 2" x .095 wall tubing and the deflection with me standing on it dead center on ONE cross piece is about 1/8" to 3"16". I am not sure that that is the tubing deflecting or the urethane wheels.

For the gas manifold I cut a three inch piece of tubing, added the 1/2" NPT bungs, sealed the top and bottom of the piece, tested it to 60psi, welded on new pieces and welded the assembly into the stand. Now I can use the bottom 16" to mount the box for my igniter controllers and not have to worry about drilling and tapping that section.

With the exception of plumbing and fittings, I have most of what I need to get it completed with the exception of TIME! I am doing something on it daily though.

I was at a place here locally and saw the blue wheels. The valves are blue, wheels are blue, so the stand will be powder coated blue.

I will keep posting as I move along on the build. :rockin:

P3280200.jpg

P3280201.jpg

P3280202.jpg

P3280203.jpg

P3280204.jpg

Looks great!! Have you done the cost analysis to determine whether the brewtroller is cheaper than using other control systems like PIDs?? Or was the decision to use the brewtroller based on features you desired?

Have not done a cost analysis. PIDs were never really an option for me for what I wanted to do. I was going back and forth between BT and the BCS. I love the BCS web ui but the BT seemed to have a larger forum presence and this being my first build of anything like this, the support knowledge on the bt forums and in the wiki seems invaluable. I am no electronics/computer guy. I am more the lefty loosy, righty tighty guy anpd I have to learn as I go. The BT also had the features I wanted and the ability for future expansion/enhancement. BT has a working gui from what I have read so that is going to be the cherry on top for me when this project is completed.

Subscribed!

I agree with lpdjshaw, the pump outlet port shoud stay on top

I'm building my bt based HERMS system as well, very happy to see your nice and clean build coming up!

What about the fluid flows? Do you have a detail of it to show off?

Subscribed!

I agree with lpdjshaw, the pump outlet port shoud stay on top

I'm building my bt based HERMS system as well, very happy to see your nice and clean build coming up!

What about the fluid flows? Do you have a detail of it to show off?

I have turned the pump heads 180 degrees as suggested.

I started with black heart brewery flow schematic and modified them for my needs. My chilling will be done in the boil kettle with a coil installed as in the hlt with cooling water running through it. I also eliminated heating strike water in my bk. Strike water will come from the hlt. I wasnt too worried about boiling a large volume of water as my water source is going to be my house hot water which is really hot.

Is your stand stainless? If so why powder coat? Can't wait to see more progress!

No, not stainless. Just plain old mild steel. It's just not the black stuff. I was super pleased with the material, the cost, and the service at the supplier. 93 bucks for 44 feet. Great deal!

I like to mounting brackets for banjo burners. I wish we would have done something similar for our stand.

I'm very impressed with the burner mounts. I thought our design was nice

P1040570.jpg

but my hat is off to you sir! Nice welding also.

I have to admit that I am jealous when I read these threads. I live in a 2nd floor apt, don't have any welding equipment, nothing to cut metal with, and no knowledge of where I would even get steel like that.

I guess people like me have to live somewhat vicariously through you guys! I will be following this thread with interest!

I feel your pain... I work around brew stands all day, creating all kinds of neat stuff. And I don't own anything but a mash paddle. I sold everything to start the business.

Someday...

What about the pilot burner? Have you already found the right place on the banjo burner?

there is a 5th nub on the outer ring of the burner. It can be drilled and tapped to mount the pilot assembly

there is a 5th nub on the outer ring of the burner. It can be drilled and tapped to mount the pilot assembly

Do you mean this?

Photo%20Mar%2031%2C%202%2013%2055%20AM.jpg

If I drill and mount my pilot assembly it seems to me to be too far away from the gas exits, am I wrong? Any photo showing the right pilot assembly mounting?

thanks for your help!

I'd be surprised if mounting a pilot on that fifth nub wouldn't work just fine.

That said, I attached electronic igniters on my BG-14 burners (don't panic - it's a totally manual system for now ;) ) by drilling and tapping holes on the underside of the radial arms, about a half inch inside the outer ring. It was about the easiest thing I've done on my build...

Cheers!

Found some photos of an electronic igniter:

P1040665.jpg

P1040664.jpg

not very happy with these... I'm going to start tinkering with a hybrid furnace ignition system

Much more clear now!

My pilot assembly is quite different, but I've found an excellent source of inspiration there!!!

I'm very impressed with the burner mounts. I thought our design was nice

P1040570.jpg

but my hat is off to you sir! Nice welding also.
I wish I could take credit for the burner mounts but that isn't my design. I got the idea from nickstek (sp) on another build page. I loved the design so I used btu dimensions and his idea.

I have been on vacation for the past ten days and have been away from home. I was able to get a few hours in today and partially install the swing out arm that my control panel will be mounted on. So here a some pics of todays progress!

P4090225.jpg

P4090226.jpg

P4090227.jpg

P4090228.jpg

P4090229.jpg

Pre-lunch time progress today. I fabbed the tilting bracket for the control box and mocked it up. As you can see, I am using removable pins to hold the control panel on the swing out arm.

P4100230.jpg

P4100231.jpg

P4100232.jpg

P4100233.jpg

P4100234.jpg

I'm a klutz, and some 'personal hop additions' :drunk: on brew day, I can see me running into it knocking stuff around, spilling crap... winning some 'yer a *******' award...

^ Hahaha thats awesome, and so true....

Great rig btw, very nice and love the craftsmanship! Cant wait to see the finished product...

First I would like to apologize to all of you for not documenting my build all the way through as I had originally intended. Lots of life's issues have taken time away and I simply just worked on the brewery when I could. Here are some pictures of my completed build. There are 2 things still needing attention though. I a waiting for my BT 4.1 to return from OSCSYS after a fix and I need to calibrate the volume sensing portion of the build. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

PS. As some of you can see, I took full advantage of Black Heart Brewing's console design.

20140424_142008.jpg

20140424_142032.jpg

20140424_142059.jpg

20140424_142202.jpg

20140424_142340.jpg

Back