My first lager: Not sure what to expect.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neunelfer

Reaction score
I brewed a Oktoberfest style amber lager. I do not have a hydrometer so I can't do SG readings yet (I'll buy one for next batch). So I brewed it as usual, left it inside for primary. Bubbles were coming out of the airlock as usual. The bubbles slowed down and stopped so I moved it to secondary. I also do not have refrigeration but I wanted to replicate the "cold caves" that the German's used to use (and I'm cheap) so I placed it out in my garage in a large vat of water to help stabilize the temp. It is definitely cold in my garage, but it's not freezing, there isn't any ice on anything and outside just gets a light frost, (it's California).

I am seeing no bubbles pass through the airlock now that it is in secondary. I planned on letting it sit for 6 weeks in the lager phase regardless, but I am just kinda concerned, should I be seeing bubbles?

TIA. :mug:

As far as whether or not you should be seeing bubbles, that depends on how long you sit and watch it. Most of my lager secondaries bubble maybe 1 time every 6 hours.

Back