Austin Home Brew Arrogant Bastard clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
I brewed their PM version a little while ago, and now want to do an all grain version. I have the hops and yeast, just trying to get the grain bill. The pm recipe calls for:
1 1/2 lbs crystal 120L
2 1/2 lbs 2-row
8 1/2 lbs AMBER extract

with an OG of 1.074

How do I convert the amber LME to grain? Can I just use all 2-row, or do I need to add something for color?

Thanks

I guess that's part of the question. My mash efficiency is around 70%, but I don't know what the efficiency was when the LME was created.

The crystal will give you the color. At 70% efficiency Beer Tools says you'll need 13.5# of two row to hit 1.074. This AG recipe is a bit different, but you might want to look at it for some ideas.

Thanks, I saw that that recipe and may try it. So you're saying that just the 1 1/2 lbs of crystal and the rest 2-row, I will hit the same color/body as the amber extract?

Maybe someone here has made their all grain version and would offer up the grain bill?

I'd help, but my recipe is much better ;)

McKBrew's right, 13.5 lbs should work pretty well with the rest of those grains in the OP to get that color and flavor.

My recipe is strictly 12 pounds MO and 1.5 pounds of crystal 120L. That's it. I'm drinking it now, as a matter of fact.

Well, not exactly right now. I mean, it's 7:45 AM. But, it's on tap and I will be into it by noon.

My recipe is strictly 12 pounds MO and 1.5 pounds of crystal 120L. That's it. I'm drinking it now, as a matter of fact.

Well, not exactly right now. I mean, it's 7:45 AM. But, it's on tap and I will be into it by noon.

What hops did you use on the full on clone Yoops?

What hops did you use on the full on clone Yoops?

Chinook.

All chinook- about 3 ounces, maybe four. I'll check and let you know.

Edit- the last time, my chinook was 14.9, and I used 1.25 ounces as FWH, 1 ounce at 30 minutes, and an ounce at flame out. My OG was 1.066, and the IBUs were 86.2, according to Beersmith.

i'd go ahead and give it a complimentary pull to make sure carbonation levels are up to par. :D

i'd go ahead and give it a complimentary pull to make sure carbonation levels are up to par. :D

You know, that's a great idea! I'm so glad I don't work on Fridays! I was going to wait until after breakfast, but that's just silly talk.

I do that from time to time in my sample glass.

Of course the sample glass is a standard pint, but who cares.... :D

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure my LHBS has thos grains, so maybe I'll try that one. I just really liked the PM from AHS, but I'm sure this one is great too! If they don't have them for some reason (although they are a brewery so they usually have everything I need) then I'll go with the 2-row.

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure my LHBS has thos grains, so maybe I'll try that one. I just really liked the PM from AHS, but I'm sure this one is great too! If they don't have them for some reason (although they are a brewery so they usually have everything I need) then I'll go with the 2-row.

Looks like Yooper's is pretty much right on with AHS's PM recipe.

I ordered the clone recipe from AHS and I'm gonna be brewing this up tomorrow. If I remember correctly, AHS' recipe calls for 13# 2-row and a little bit of 120L. The recipe calls for a total of 4 oz with different additions at 60 min, 30 min, and 5 min, I think.

Their recipe calls for WLP051 but I will be using WLP001.

Looks like Yooper's is pretty much right on with AHS's PM recipe.

That could be. I think Benny made the all-grain kit from AHS and mentioned he used 4 ounces of hops, and no FWH, but that the grain bill was really close. I don't remember the hopping he mentioned, but I do remember that there were more hops.

AHS has listed to used WLP051, Wyeast 1272, or notty. I used the Wyeast last time, although this time I will be using notty, since I stocked up and have about 10 pack left:rockin:

Here's AHS' recipe:

13.5# 2-row
1.5# Crystal 120L

2.5 oz Chinook, 60 min
.75 oz Chinook, 15 min
.75 oz Chinook, 5 min.

WLP051 or Wyeast 1272 or Nottingham

I found this today and thought it was funny:

cheney_bastard_ale.jpg

Back