did i ruin my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpig75

Reaction score
im a beginning home brewer and I think I made a really stupid mistake today.

I made a partial mash/extract wheat beer- "5 gallon" batch. i made 3 gallons of wort, put it in the primary but instead of topping it off with water at the 5 gallon mark, I topped it off at the 6 gallon mark.

How much of an effect will this extra gallon of beer have on the final outcome? Will it taste watered down? Will a novice like me not even notice?

My biggest fear is that it'll be taste watery and be undrinkable but Im hoping that's not the case.

thanks for the quick response BigK - Good to know it's not a total loss. I guees a lite beer is better than none. :)

No real loss at all. Often, when I feel like a little 'extra' I'll put a little extra water in to top it off -like the other poster said -odds are, you will not notice any difference (at least no signifficant one) -though technically it IS thinning it out a little. Don't sweat it, however, and just enjoy your brew.

You will need to send it to Evan! for proper disposal though.

Im a new guy so forgive me for having to ask - who's Evan? Bigk?

If you live in the hartford area you're more than welcome to help me 'dispose' of them ;)

BigKahuna (aka BK), although we love him, is a bit of a post whore. You'll hear from him a lot. :D

BTW, it always Evan! when you refer to the man.

BigKahuna (aka BK), although we love him, is a bit of a post whore. You'll hear from him a lot. :D

BTW, it always Evan! when you refer to the man.

haha well even if he is im glad to hear it. nothing's worse than a forum where no one talks or it takes 3 days to get a response - this is not that forum! Even though I havent been here long I already love this place and plan on upgrading my membership.

ill be sure to keep my eye out for 'the man' named "Evan!" :)

I think Evan! will find you pretty soon and you will know who he is :D
Someone needs to be sure that Evan! doesn't AXE the New Guy.....That's just not right!

Nurmey....did you really call me a Post Whore? :confused:

<BigKahuna> Hunkers in the corner sobbing uncontrollably.

HA! NOT....

Damn. I did it again. I guess I am a whore.

Nurmey darlin, methinks around here you don't earn the right to pick on a brewer of BK's stature for another 69 posts.... :D

And the only official beer disposal site around here is me btw...

beerinspectorcard_copy.jpg

that is until someone else photoshops a card:D

Nurmey darlin, methinks around here you don't earn the right to pick on a brewer of BK's stature for another 69 posts.... :D

And the only official beer disposal site around here is me btw...

beerinspectorcard_copy.jpg

that is until someone else photoshops a card:D

HA!
That's Great! I am printing one of those.

Dammit! I did it again.

Dammit! I did it again.

LOL..........

Hey...if you're a post whore than what the hell am I?

Like I told someone on another thread...I didn't get this post count from playing word games or debating politics....I got it from wading in and helping people on here become better brewers...and since you and I got to know each other from posting on the same threads.. I'd have to say that you earned yours the same way as well. ANd there's nothing wrong with that.

I can't help it! (sob :( sob) I've tried to whore it up but I've been here 7 months longer than BK and I just can't get my count up to a number you guys would like.

68 to go!

Like I told someone on another thread...I didn't get this post count from playing word games or debating politics....I got it from wading in and helping people on here become better brewers...

Methinks I recall a bunch of replies about pirates the other day. :D

WHY cant they hijack this thread, Yesterday was national "Talk like a pirate" day. I asked my girls at work to ask for everything like a pirate. That lasted about 10 minutes.

Yarrrrr Revvy was one happy fella at te pirate party on Friday...Gettin groped by these lovely wenches...

event_5587443.jpeg

The party was the bomb (or I was bombed, or both) I'm 43, I can't remember the last time I partied till the sun came up.....The beers were awesome as usual (We even found a 6 pack of that infamous 6 month old amber ale that I wrote about in the never dump your beer thread.....it was at the bottom of my friends keezer....Everyone raved about it....It tasted even better than when I wrote that thread....(This is the lesson again, your beer is never dumped, even if yuou think it's ruined.)

More pics of the party

event_5587439.jpeg

event_5587472.jpeg

event_5587442.jpeg

I can't help it! (sob :( sob) I've tried to whore it up but I've been here 7 months longer than BK and I just can't get my count up to a number you guys would like.

68 to go!

Don't worry Nurmey, I joined around the time BK did and I couldn't keep up either.

Must be too busy brewing... THAT'S IT!

Back