Any ideas what to do with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Sparky

Cowboys EAC
Reaction score
Look what I found while raiding my parents' scrap pile (my step dad picks this stuff up as part of his job sometimes). Now what to do with it. Any ideas??? :D

DSCN2905.JPG

uhhhh, I don't know...brew stand, brew tower?!? Pics of the process!

Yeah, I built my 3-tier with some of the same, but I've really been wanting to move to a single tier stand. Oh, and those rectangle pieces are 13" x 50" and 3 kegs fit perfectly side by side. :rockin:

Lil' Sparky said:
Look what I found while raiding my parents' scrap pile (my step dad picks this stuff up as part of his job sometimes). Now what to do with it. Any ideas??? :D

DSCN2905.JPG

Make it into one of these. I like the polished kegs :)
290720650.jpg

Oh, and anybody local need some steel? I've got ~ 100 ft of this 2"x2" steel that I won't have any use for. If you want it, let me know and come get it.

I think I've already found a home for my 3-tier. In case you haven't seen that, here's what it looks like.

DSCN2508.JPG

Now that I see how sturdy my cheapo bedframe angle iron stand is, I'd say that heavy square tube you've got is way overkill. Of course, it's not a problem if you don't try to mobilize to other brew locations..

SuperiorBrew said:
Make it into one of these. I like the polished kegs :)
290720650.jpg

Someone spent a lot of effort on that Brutus Ten clone. It looks like it belongs on the set of Flash Gordon, or maybe Dr. Who. Very pretty. Mine will not look anything like that one. I am humbled.

Bobby_M said:
Now that I see how sturdy my cheapo bedframe angle iron stand is, I'd say that heavy square tube you've got is way overkill. Of course, it's not a problem if you don't try to mobilize to other brew locations..
True, but the metal was free and it'll be riding on some HD 4" casters. My 3-tier uses about the same abount of steel and I'm able to get it around easy enough.

If I need to take it anywhere, I've got the trailer you see in the 1st pic. It's got a ramp I use to drive my motorcycle up on.

Got the rest of the pieces cut and prepped to weld. I took everything over to a friend who welds as part of his job and got everything stuck together. Here's a few pics.

Prepped and ready to go

DSCN2908.JPG

Getting things tacked up and square

DSCN2909.JPG

A few more welding pics

DSCN2910.JPG

DSCN2911.JPG

I did some of the welding, too. My first time with a MIG. I really liked it compared to stick welding. Still, my welds didn't look like his...

DSCN2914.JPG

Post welding pic. Ready to paint and put the plumbing on. This is probably upside down to how I'm going to put it together.

DSCN2912.JPG

Lil' Sparky said:
Oh, and anybody local need some steel? I've got ~ 100 ft of this 2"x2" steel that I won't have any use for. If you want it, let me know and come get it.

I have never wished I lived in Tx until this moment.

Done and ready to brew some beer. It'll go on it's maiden voyage tomorrow with a 10 gal batch of ESB. We'll actually be having both stands going. :rockin: I'll take some pics of our brew day and post them up.

I'll either replace the plywood with sheet metal or maybe keep it and just paint it. The other thing I want to add is a mounted switch and some kind of cover for the pump. I've also got some got some 6" round metal shields I'm going to mount around the burners.

DSCN2938.JPG

Copy of DSCN2939.JPG

Good stuff. You have me reconsidering my burner mounting system. My only issue is my center brace getting in the way of that system.

Hey, get some finish on that plywood. It will get ugly after a couple spills and boilovers. I have my eye out for some scrap expanded mesh for that purpose but I'm not paying retail.

Yeah, I like the hard plumbing vs the flex lines. It was easy to put together and it's nice and clean. The only thing that's a little odd is I had to go with an extra 90' elbow to get the burners centered because the stand it kind of skinny - remember, the top and bottom were already welded together so I just went with what I had.

You might be able to bring your center burner in from the side of the center beam at an angle, but it might take some fiddling to get the distance right.

I'd really like to find an old scrap metal cabinet or something that I could borrow a panel from instead of using the plywood, but it'll have to do for now.

Did you take the head off of the pump to reorientate the mounting bracket. Im still trying to think of how to mount my pump.

tbulger said:
Did you take the head off of the pump to reorientate the mounting bracket. Im still trying to think of how to mount my pump.

Yes, just unscrew the 4 bolts holding it on and you can orient it however you want. The head is all self-contained.

Had a great 1st brew day with the new stand yesterday. I posted some pics here. It was great having everything nice and low.

This was my 1st time using the QD's - loved them (thanks Bobby for the McMaster #s). When I added them, also I switched to 1/2" tubing. That made a huge difference in flow with the pump - much more than I would've expected. IF YOU'RE USING A PUMP, USE 1/2" TUBING!!

Do you need a pipe threader for this, or did you buy pipe in just the right lengths?
I'm finally going to get the parts this weekend, and order the burners as well. My kegs are converted and ready, and I'm just itching to use them (and as an incentive, my turkey frier has a rail around it that will keep a keggle from fitting in it, so I HAVE to finish the stand).

Do you need a pipe threader for this, or did you buy pipe in just the right lengths?
I'm finally going to get the parts this weekend, and order the burners as well. My kegs are converted and ready, and I'm just itching to use them (and as an incentive, my turkey frier has a rail around it that will keep a keggle from fitting in it, so I HAVE to finish the stand).

Judging by what's shown in the picture, the fittings are all off the shelf items.

The only "custom" pieces for this were the black pipe sections between the burners. I gave the dimensions I needed to a local pipe supplier and they cut and threaded them for me for really cheap - can't remember exactly. Also, in order to thread the burners directly onto pipe fittings, I used a reducer and these burner jets from morebeer. Everything else is OTS, like Sigmund suggested.

Good luck. Start a thread and show your progress. :mug:

I'll start a thread as soon as I can get the plumbing in. I'll basically be using it as a big ass turkey frier to start, then will add the pump and hoses later to get the full benefit.

I'll ask at Lowe's about threading pipe, if they'll do it, or if there's a way I can do it. I'm also going to start with the same burners you did, and if I need to later I can upgrade to those big ones some folks are using. I figure starting with the $8 burner as opposed to the $40 makes sense. Plus I know I can dial down the smaller burners like you have for use under the MLT gently when that's done. I'm using one now on my fryer stand.

Dammit! Those jets are on backorder at B3. Any other sources? I ordered the burners, a hose, and a 0-30 regulator, will hit Lowe's in a few hours.

That's the only source I'm aware of, but I haven't looked around, either. You might be able to source some through a local propane business. You could also build your own if you're really careful. The ones I got from them look like they basically took a 1/8" x 1" nipple, filled one end with liquid nails or epoxy, and drilled a very small hole in the middle. They dorked up one that I need to replace - results in a flame that's not very clean. Might be worth a try. I'm not sure what size bit I'd start with, but it would have to be really small.

You can also go with multi-tip burners since each tip is its own jet, but it'll cost you extra $$. And to be honest, I think the cheap burners are the way to go with 10 gal batches or smaller. They put out plenty of BTUs, especially w/ a 20 or 30 psi reg.

I'll keep looking for them, if I don't find them, maybe I'll make a bracket to mount the burners and run short flex tubes to them. In the mean time, I think I have one for my turkey fryer that I can steal to test with.

did you pressure test with propane and soapy water spray bottle?

Both Lowes and HD will custom cut pipe and rethread but it's hit or miss. I had a situation where my entire gas line in the house was disconnected and I just needed one perfectly cut piece to get done. Their die machine was improperly adjusted and the fitting would only thread on a 1/4 turn before it stopped. They wouldn't let me adjust the cut on the machine no matter what, even though I showed them it wouldn't thread in to any fitting. The idiot tried telling me it was fine so I had to drive to another store.

I couldn't help but wish I had a 1/2" NPT tap or die handy when fitting my stand. The reason is sometimes you need a fitting to thread on to just the exact amount of turns to make something line up. Sometimes when you hit that spot, it's too loose but you know it won't make it one more turn. The only thing you can do is slop more Teflon tape on and hope for the best. If you had a tap or die, you could thread it just a tad deeper.

hrm. If I have that trouble I might try adapting to the flexible burner tubing and mounting the burners on a bracket so I can line them up on their own. My valves might point in funny directions before the tubing, but at least I would go BOOM less.

I live alone in the country now, so if I blow myself up, it could be days before I am missed and investigated. ;)

Both Lowes and HD will custom cut pipe and rethread but it's hit or miss. I had a situation where my entire gas line in the house was disconnected and I just needed one perfectly cut piece to get done. Their die machine was improperly adjusted and the fitting would only thread on a 1/4 turn before it stopped. They wouldn't let me adjust the cut on the machine no matter what, even though I showed them it wouldn't thread in to any fitting. The idiot tried telling me it was fine so I had to drive to another store.

I couldn't help but wish I had a 1/2" NPT tap or die handy when fitting my stand. The reason is sometimes you need a fitting to thread on to just the exact amount of turns to make something line up. Sometimes when you hit that spot, it's too loose but you know it won't make it one more turn. The only thing you can do is slop more Teflon tape on and hope for the best. If you had a tap or die, you could thread it just a tad deeper.

Wow and think those idiots at HD are "the experts" and they can't adjust the thread cut + /- on their toy table top Ridgid threader.

This is why over the years on my rental properties and personal use I have collected on my own a Ridgid Tri-Stand chain vice, Ridgid 700 power head with all dies 1/2" to 2" plus a (OMG) Ratchet hand threader. The 12R die sets cut the perfect depth threads everytime no screwing around just do it and install. The 700 power head has been used to dig a few wells with the square drive and handle extender. The 700 will take you for a walk. In need a fellow union electrician friend has a reduction threader so I can thread up to 4" rigid. This I might buy some day as they are not cheap.

From what I understand, this is very important. DON'T use the normal white teflon tape, apparently it makes your schtuff leak even more.

Well ya better tell the sprinkler fitters, PG&E gas supplier in my area and plumbers on the job sites to quit using it. They use tape first then a swipe with Rector Seals teflon dope over the tape. If you have a POS set of dies ripping threads or use the hardware store brand imported chit fittings you already have a bad thread match up. Many times especially with black iron gas line fittings the female threads are undersized and you can only get 3 to 4 threads before almost splitting the fitting. You have to go undersize on the male pipe threads on the threader to correct for this problem. Quality control from fittings made from far away land vs U.S.A.'s NPT standards. We didn't have these problems 25 to 30 years ago. I can pull black iron gas line fittings my dad has new in buckets that is 30-50 years old and screws on an easy 7-8 threads when tight without any leaks.
New isn't better.

I tested mine and I've got no leaks. I used the thick yellow teflon tape for gas lines.

Thank got there was an employee in the isle with the pipe at Lowes when I went to buy my gas lines. I never knew that you needed the yellow tape for gas.

What else is the difference except the thickness?

Latest posts

Back